HOME SECURITY SYSTEM

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
SYSTEM: ADT
COST: $49 a month, $1800 install
LIKES: I like the cameras both inside and out, the emergency settings for home invasion and the ability to watch the house from my phone while away. The Smoke/fire reporting automatically and the CO2 tied in as well. I really like the alerts you can set to snap stills of anywhere in the house at any time you like. Service is a call away, if the tech cannot answer the question over the phone, they come out rather quickly. Looking at who is at the door before going to or opening it.
DISLIKES: Install fee seemed pretty high, but I understand you buy the equipment. If the internet goes down, we lose the cameras and window/door sensors.

Hope that helps a bit.

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Vivint.
$50
I like the app for my phone when it works, I like the wireless hardware, I like the control panel most of the time, and I like customer service so far. Free install.
I dislike the low battery life of the control panel, 4 year contract. Compared to Hargrove's features, it looks like he is getting a better deal.

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes it does. Best Buy has a 8 camera ultra HD DVR 1TB system for $500 that will do everything the major companies will. But I need a monitored door/motion detector system with it.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have Vivint, not sure what the monthly rate is (have to ax the wife). THey were going door to door in our neighborhood and we got the install for $200. We kinda added parts over the last couple of years with Door locks, Cams outside and light switches. The door locks, cams and switches work off our wifi, so I have the wifi and router hooked up to a back up battery that's hooked up to an additional back up battery. We have 10 hours of juice to run the locks cams and switches. Could prolly double that if I took the router of the BUB.

Other wise it does everything that Dhargroves does. We got the Doorbell cam as well. Sometimes its too sensitive and acvtivates when the tree branches rustle around in the wind. Otherwise its great. I don't have to get up to tell some jack ass at the door "No thanks"

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
System: large black dog, various firearms, and homeowner's insurance.

Cost: big bag of dog food about once a month; all else is sunk costs.

Possible outcomes: if I'm home, a carpet stain. If I'm not home, I get new stuff, courtesy of the insurance company.

Advantages: cheap, is always excited to see me.

Disadvantages: ticks, always begging at the table, possible cost of carpet cleaning. And, at this point much sooner rather than later, Kipling's "The Power of the Dog."

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Game camera's set to three shot bursts.
No-glo style of infra red.
I have two, one to get a pic of the vehicle/driver coming up the driveway, with a pic of the tag when they turn into the garage parking area, and another when they drive off.
Both should get pics of their faces. I won't say how they are placed.
That doesn't alert police, but we live in the sticks, and they can pull up to our house with a van and empty it. Our sat internet service doesn't work with the security systems that works over the internet. The ping time fawkes up the signal. We bought one once and the satellite was the issue. Returned it.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Game camera's set to three shot bursts.
No-glo style of infra red.
I have two, one to get a pic of the vehicle/driver coming up the driveway, with a pic of the tag when they turn into the garage parking area, and another when they drive off.
Both should get pics of their faces. I won't say how they are placed.
That doesn't alert police, but we live in the sticks, and they can pull up to our house with a van and empty it. Our sat internet service doesn't work with the security systems that works over the internet. The ping time fawkes up the signal. We bought one once and the satellite was the issue. Returned it.
That sux. If I lived in the stix, Id have boobey traps, pill boxes, trenches with pungie sticks and concertina wire, home made claymore mines, etc

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That sux. If I lived in the stix, Id have boobey traps, pill boxes, trenches with pungie sticks and concertina wire, home made claymore mines, etc
I worked in the same company with a guy at OG&E like that. He was a legend.
Worked at the Muscogee power plant. His home was built from 4' thick boulders with firing ports in each room. He had periscopes in the roof ports, and so on. I never saw it, but talked to those that did.
He built a school bus into a traveling fortress basically that was self contained. He and his buds would take it to the panhandle to shoot prairie dogs.
He was ate up with it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom