Whatsapp

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use it on my phone and computer. Supposedly it's more secure than regular text messaging with end to end encryption. I can't really attest to that because I haven't had any issues with either format. I have had no problems with WhatsApp at all.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personally, I don't have anything to do with it because it's from Facebook, but it uses the Signal protocols for its secure communications, and those are rock solid. Of course, you could just use Signal and cut out Facebook entirely, but I don't know what kind of functionality you might lose.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
End to end encryption is good, but at the same time, its a lot like a padlock. If someone wants in, and has the means, it wont stop them. Further, I have concerns about a few things.
  1. Metadata. Metadata exposes who’s talking, when, how long and where. Message data stored at rest in world-wide data centers. Its a Facebook app. Facebook has literally made their fortune off of selling ads. Those ads are built, targeted, and distributed in a process facilitated by metadata analysis and they are able to sell users data to online data brokers, who then sell your info to anyone who wants it. Metadata collection is literally the cornerstone of NSA intelligence gathering, both of American citizens and other countries citizens.
  2. The WhatsApp legal agreement. When a user downloads and signs up for WhatsApp, they are agreeing to a legal contract. What does that agreement allow WhatsApp to do with that data? What do they consent to collecting? How do they collect it? Talk about nipple rings around your phone for a week with facebook open. Or even with it not open. Search every day for 3 similar phrases to this on google, not on the facebook app. At the end of the week go to facebook and see what kinda ads and suggested pages you get thrown in your face.
  3. None of this is any safer on a home computer.

Also, Signal is literally a US Government, or perhaps multinational intelligence honeypot. Depending on who you believe. If its run by any part of the Five Eyes community the US gets the info whether they admit to it or not.

Last edited:

Rustytigwire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use it to comm with online hobby friend in Australia.
RC Sailplanes.
works great.
text or live video chat.
local friends also
no $$$ international phone bill.
no bs no ads no glitches.
i like it.
secure? i have no idea about such things.

Cold Smoke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A friend of mine’s son from South Africa set it up for me when he was over here. I don’t know that I would hang my hat on the security part, but it dang sure is convenient. There’s nothing I say on it I wouldn’t say to a feebs face. Course I always did have a problem running my mouth. 😁

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmmm. I’ve heard lots of otherwise, but nothing specific about the founders. I’ll have do some reading for sure.
I've heard the same rumors, but they don't ring true. Just look up Moxie Marlinspike (one of the co-founders and co-authors of Signal)--the dude's practically an anarchist.

Latest posts

Top Bottom