portable oxygen concentrator

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If she qualifies for home oxygen, she should be covered for both stationary & portable systems. The doc has to write the script for both systems. The home oxygen company should help the discharge planner with ordering the oxygen.
The qualifying saturation has to be within 48 hrs of discharge. I would ask to speak with the discharge planner. They should be contacting you to ask which company you want to use. They will have a list of companies. National chains are April, Ali care, Rotech. There are also smaller local companies.
When she is discharged, the oxygen company will deliver the portable system to the hospital room & will meet you at your house to deliver the stationary concentrator.
she is in st francis the oxygen company is all saints a division of the hospital. thats who said they didn't think her insurance covers the portable

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife has copd and emphysema and landed in the hospital last Sunday with pneumonia. Dr said when she gets out she will need to be on oxygen. Insurance will pay for the home one , but may not pay for portable one. She would like to be able to continue working
I think what they mean by the ins will not pay for the portable concentrator is it might not be one that you choose. …

Insurance will pay for a “stationary” system ( home concentrator) & a “portable“ system. The portable system that you are given is up to the home care company who uses whatever they have in stock. Usually small O2 cylinders. They sometimes use battery powered concentrators, sometimes not. So, you can call these local companies to see what they will offer. Some patients don’t like the insurance covered portable systems & buy an expensive one in addition.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think what they mean by the ins will not pay for the portable concentrator is it might not be one that you choose. …

Insurance will pay for a “stationary” system ( home concentrator) & a “portable“ system. The portable system that you are given is up to the home care company who uses whatever they have in stock. Usually small O2 cylinders. They sometimes use battery powered concentrators, sometimes not. So, you can call these local companies to see what they will offer. Some patients don’t like the insurance covered portable systems & buy an expensive one in addition.
they already brought a tank on a cart that they said was a 4 hour tank for her to discharge with then they will deliver the home unit shortly after we get home. the thing is 3 feet tall and weighs probably 25lbs , she is only 5ft 100lbs no way she is going anywhere by herself with that thing

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
she is in st francis the oxygen company is all saints a division of the hospital. thats who said they didn't think her insurance covers the portable
If she has Medicare, they legally have to give you a choice of home oxygen companies. They can’t tell a Medicare patient which home care company to use.
If she qualifies for home oxygen via oximetry, that includes both stationary & portable systems. The doc should order home o2 for example “ 3L home oxygen 24 hrs/day stationary & portable systems “.
Sometimes patients only are covered for portable & not stationary (if ambulatory sats qualify but resting sats don’t). But I’ve never heard of someone qualifying for stationary & not portable unless they do a nocturnal oximetry only and she only desats at night.
I would see what her resting sat on room air is & go from there.
DM me if you need more assistance throughout the process. Good luck

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
they already brought a tank on a cart that they said was a 4 hour tank for her to discharge with then they will deliver the home unit shortly after we get home. the thing is 3 feet tall and weighs probably 25lbs , she is only 5ft 100lbs no way she is going anywhere by herself with that thing
That’s an “E” tank. As I said, the oxygen company uses whatever equip they have for portables. If you have to use that company, maybe ask them if they can provide a “lightweight” portable system. Ask if they have any portable concentrators.
If you are stuck with that company, maybe they can give you a portable concentrator (instead of the e tank) for a monthly fee. Might be cheaper than buying your own portable concentrator for 2K.
**Also, what is her prescribed oxygen flow rate? If it’s high, like 4L continuously, then a pulse dose portable might not even work. Cant put out enough O2 to match her 4 L needs. Hate to see you buy an expensive portable that she won’t be able to use.

Last edited:

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If she has Medicare, they legally have to give you a choice of home oxygen companies. They can’t tell a Medicare patient which home care company to use.
If she qualifies for home oxygen via oximetry, that includes both stationary & portable systems. The doc should order home o2 for example “ 3L home oxygen 24 hrs/day stationary & portable systems “.
Sometimes patients only are covered for portable & not stationary (if ambulatory sats qualify but resting sats don’t). But I’ve never heard of someone qualifying for stationary & not portable unless they do a nocturnal oximetry only and she only desats at night.
I would see what her resting sat on room air is & go from there.
DM me if you need more assistance throughout the process. Good luck
they have her on 2.5L at the hospital with breathing treatments every 6 hours. she is not on medicare

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
they have her on 2.5L at the hospital with breathing treatments every 6 hours. she is not on medicare
In this case, your best bet would be to ask them if they can get her a lightweight portable. If not, might have to bite the bullet & buy your own. But remember, if you buy a portable concentrator, the pulse dose setting is not the same as the 2.5L continuous setting on the E tank. The pulse dose setting is a conserving device, so you will have to adjust it while she is wearing an oximeter to ensure her sats are equivalent to the continuous flow portable. Might need the RT from the home care company to assist with that.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
tell me everything you know about them... where to buy, what they cost ,do they work well?

thanks
Don't get a Chinese one...they don't increase O2 sat at all...I wasted money on one in early days of covid prepping and when I finally tested it out when I had covid my O2 sat dropped a point when wearing it LOL.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In this case, your best bet would be to ask them if they can get her a lightweight portable. If not, might have to bite the bullet & buy your own. But remember, if you buy a portable concentrator, the pulse dose setting is not the same as the 2.5L continuous setting on the E tank. The pulse dose setting is a conserving device, so you will have to adjust it while she is wearing an oximeter to ensure her sats are equivalent to the continuous flow portable. Might need the RT from the home care company to assist with that.
thanks for all the info

Uncle TK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
2.5 Liters per Minute is the problem.
Home concentrator 2.5 Liters per minute (50 foot hose, locate in center of house)
Most portable concentrators are 2 liters per minute (burst) (OK for short periods of time)
E-Tank, keep in car (4 Hours at 2.5 6 Hours on 2.0)
Work a separate home concentrator or E-Tanks (Depends on Work conditions)
This is based on my Dad from 10 years ago.

A portable concentrator will not work for above 2.0 litters per minute. and she need 2.5 liters.
Things may have changes in the last few years.

Latest posts

Top Bottom