Homebrewers. Where you at?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fordguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just let me know, its pretty easy to make. The hardest part is the patience. I just racked to secondary with my Blackberry Mead/Melomel. Gravity measurement puts it at about 20% VAV and while I didnt taste it, it smelled wonderful. I'm thinking of going and getting some oak chips and adding them to the fermentor for the next year to give it an oak aged taste.

I only make wine, beer just gives me indigestion.
I have always added oak to the primary. Haven't tried adding it to the secondary. I don't know what 20%VAV is but if you are talking about 20% alcohol by volume (ABV), I may be mistaken but I don't know of a yeast that can tolerate 20%.
Lavlin EC-1118 can tolerate up to 18%.

There are many types of yeast available at the Brew Shop at 36th and Penn.

As far as aging goes, it should be great in 9 to 12 months, but it will be pretty good in 4 to 6 months, try a bottle in a few months and make some notes of how it tastes, then when you crack open a bottle in 9 to 12 months you should notice a difference.

This is just my thoughts.

nich018

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I only make wine, beer just gives me indigestion.
I have always added oak to the primary. Haven't tried adding it to the secondary. I don't know what 20%VAV is but if you are talking about 20% alcohol by volume (ABV), I may be mistaken but I don't know of a yeast that can tolerate 20%.
Lavlin EC-1118 can tolerate up to 18%.

There are many types of yeast available at the Brew Shop at 36th and Penn.

As far as aging goes, it should be great in 9 to 12 months, but it will be pretty good in 4 to 6 months, try a bottle in a few months and make some notes of how it tastes, then when you crack open a bottle in 9 to 12 months you should notice a difference.

This is just my thoughts.

I have made wine, but it was about 30 years ago. Never tried home brew beer.

Latest posts

Top Bottom