Honey bee inspection

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I checked the weight on them before this cold spell. All felt pretty heavy still but one. It was a swarm I caught last year. I put some sugar blocks in it to help give them some food. It's pretty small and I don't think it will survive the negative temperature. Just not enough bees to generate enough heat.

If I would have had time I would have put a double screen on a strong hive and placed the small hive on top.

The double screen let's the heat from the strong colony through and keeps any fighting from happening through the screen.

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I checked the weight on them before this cold spell. All felt pretty heavy still but one. It was a swarm I caught last year. I put some sugar blocks in it to help give them some food. It's pretty small and I don't think it will survive the negative temperature. Just not enough bees to generate enough heat.

If I would have had time I would have put a double screen on a strong hive and placed the small hive on top.

The double screen let's the heat from the strong colony through and keeps any fighting from happening through the screen.
I tool a look last Wednesday before the freeze, one hive was dead. The other 2 have around cantaloupe sized clusters. I gave them a few pounds of the honey that strains off the capping wax, and a bunch of crystals that got caught in the strainer.. Hopefully they make it thru this cold spell.

Waysysto

New to the site!
Reaction score
Even though the thread is a year old, your experience with beekeeping and your concern for the health of your hives remain relevant and important. It's great that you're keeping a watchful eye on varroa mites and the overall condition of your bees.
The absence of brood and eggs during certain times of the year is not uncommon, and it's often a natural part of the beekeeping cycle. Bees adjust their activities based on the season and available resources.
If you're still interested in learning more about beekeeping or finding ways to keep bees away from certain areas, you can check out how to keep bees away for additional insights. Continuing to monitor your hives and providing the necessary care will contribute to the well-being of your bee colonies.

FlyGuyGSP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The absence of brood and eggs during certain times of the year is not uncommon, and it's often a natural part of the beekeeping cycle. Bees adjust their activities based on the season and available resources.
If you're still interested in learning more about beekeeping or finding ways to keep bees away from certain areas, you can check out how to keep bees away for additional insights. Continuing to monitor your hives and providing the necessary care will contribute to the well-being of your bee colonies.
How’s life in India?

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Kudos to you guys for taking care of
Our pollinators
That wasn’t a joke.
While most of our grain crops are wind pollinated, most of the Earth's diversity and productivity is made possible due to the unique relationships between plants and animals that resulted in their co-evolution. And pollinators like honeybees are necessary pimps for most plants.

tranger2

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Used the Flir to check a few of the hives after the several nights at 0 degrees and three days below freezing. Love to see the heat! Even the Nuc is throwing some decent heat.
flir1.jpg
d snap. Love to see the heat!

Attachments

• flir.jpg
    flir.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Top Bottom