hope yall can answer this

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vandy9303

Marksman
Reaction score
What's going on guys? I've got a question that no one seems to be able to answer for me. Here's the deal, I'd like to get my ccw. My record is clean, I'm in the military have been for 9 year. I pay my taxes. I don't get speeding tickets. I'd like to think of my self as a good productive citizen. The problem is I have someone that lives in my household that has been convicted of a felony. Its a non violent white collar crime. She has no access to any of my firearms and her probation is going to be up in april. At that point I hope to have her record expunged.

My question is with her record livivng with me can I legally get my ccw? I've looked in to this a lot and can't seem to find a good answer for this. I'd hate to go take the class pay for the backgrounf check to have it denied due to other peoples issues that live with me

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not only would I NOT apply for an CCW, I'd get rid of the guns. I think if they catch her with them in her residence she'll be in more trouble. After her record is expunged, you are good to go.

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
can I legally get my ccw?

You can't/won't get a CCW with a felon living in your house.

Like Shadowrider noted (VERY IMPORTANT) if her probation officer finds out there are guns in your house, she goes back to jail.

BC

PS: I am actually quite surprised that her PO has not asked her if there are any guns in the house. That is one of the many questions they ask you typically.

VociferousJD

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
You will not receive your license if there is a convicted felon living in your home. If the felon moves, you will have to wait 30 days before you can make application.

The applicable statutory provisions are 21 O.S. 1290.11(A)(9) and 21 O.S. 1283(C).

Vandy9303

Marksman
Reaction score
Well I thought about that and contacted a lawyer about it. From what I've been told as long as she has no access to it ie they are locked up and she has no access to the keys or combo then that's ok. I may have been given false info though. That's what I figured about the ccw though.

EDIT. Also. There is no probation officer. I guess I worded that wrong. She is on a differed sentence so that at the end she can get it differed. I guess the moral of the story is do a good background check on someone before u marry them huh lol

Vandy9303

Marksman
Reaction score
I agree. She is 28 never been in any legal trouble. This case is pretty weak. She more or less got caught up in her ex husbands trouble and is paying for it for 5 years. I think as long as its a white collar non violent type crime you should be able to apply to own a firearm

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree. She is 28 never been in any legal trouble. This case is pretty weak. She more or less got caught up in her ex husbands trouble and is paying for it for 5 years. I think as long as its a white collar non violent type crime you should be able to apply to own a firearm

This might very well be the way most of us think but the law doesn't.

I would TRIPLE CHECK before I believe something I was told or read and risk sending her to jail and you maybe losing your gun rights. You might even talk to a parole officer. Maybe not hers, unless you are ready to get rid of your guns right now

Vandy9303

Marksman
Reaction score
This might very well be the way most of us think but the law doesn't.

I would TRIPLE CHECK before I believe something I was told or read and risk sending her to jail and you maybe losing your gun rights. You might even talk to a parole officer. Maybe not hers, unless you are ready to get rid of your guns right now

yeah thats y i havnt. she actually enrolled me into the class a while back and i pulled out of it when i started thinking about her situation. oh well i have untill april and its all over and done with i guess

ce1447

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
if she is on a "deferred" sentence she is not technically a convicted felon. but she is still not allowed to be around firearms...no exceptions. Any violation of this will get her deferred sentence accelerated to a suspended sentence which will make her a convicted felon.

you need to contact an attorney in regards to having her record expunged after completion of her sentence. until then your best bet is to take any guns you have in your home somewhere else.

Latest posts

Top Bottom