Hornady Critical Defense

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LARscout0311

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I picked this up yesterday mainly because it was the only ammo available within my budget. This stuff is my Duty/CC ammo for the time being. How good is it, who has experience and what gun did you use it with? Mine is .45 from a 1911A1 style. I dont yet have funds to shoot any to ensure it all works but hand cycling didnt give me hangups. I know hand cycling isnt the same but thats all i got for now.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If Hornady CD is in your budget, anything is. That being said, if it feeds reliably you should be fine. I understand things are tight now, they are for everyone in terms of ammo. I would run a few rounds through each mag, to make sure each mag functions them reliably. Mags are the #1 reason for failures in semi-auto hand guns of any kind, 1911's are notorious for mag sensitivity though.

LARscout0311

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, it was within budget cause that was the only other ammo available. Ive loaded all my mags with differing amounts of bullets and they all fed fine so Im pretty sure ill be ok. My worse mag doesnt like to lock the slide back so its my "Holy ****, im almost ****ed" mag :gun1:

indi

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ive shot Critical defense in (guestimates) 2boxes of 45acp(XDs, para p12.45), 4 boxes of 9mm(G26, fnx9), and 2boxes of 380(P238). Mostly 9mm. IMO its a great round for a CCW, or home defense. I wouldn't buy it for duty. Barrier penetration is not a strong point for Critical Defense. Ive never experianced a hiccup with Critical Defense.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hornady Critical Defense does not meet the FBI minimum requirements of 12" of penetration through either bare gel but does in heavy clothing in the 45 Auto 185 grn loading. Common barrier penetration is also lacking in the FTX bullet.

It certainly isn't a bad round if that is all you can find, but I would recommend Hornady's Critical Duty line of ammunition for all LE or CC purposes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom