Hornady ELD-X or Nosler Accubond LR

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

white92coupe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m debating on which ammo to try in my 28 Nosler. The Hornady is 162 gr and the Nosler is 160. The other option for starting out is the Nosler E-tip in 150 grain. I’ve read good and bad on Hornady brass for reloading, and Nosler brass isn’t much cheaper than buying factory loads.

Thoughts/comments welcomed.

white92coupe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You need to try them all to see which load shoots the best, then go with it or load your own.

That’s kind of been my plan, but not having experience with the ELD-X I wanted to make sure it wasn’t a bust before spending the money on it. The quick searching I’ve done it seems to have good reviews though.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree you probably need to just try some out.

When in stock you should check out this brass, https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/83106
I would rate it very close to Lapua grade. Hornady bullets are cheep and you can work loads up for the ones you listed. Depending on the twist of your barrel you can step up in weight class and probably run 195gr Burger EOL Elite Hunter as well or Hornady's 190gr A-Tip. Although I know very little about reloading a 28 Nos I'm sure RL26 would be a good powder with very good speed to take advantage of the high BC bullets.

I generally run with either Berger 180gr bullets but have also had great success with their 168gr Hunting VLD's in .284 caliber. My barrel was chambered to shoot these.

I shoot Hornady 140gr ELD-M in my .260 and they shoot fantastic. My next endeavor is to work up loads with their 143gr ELD-X for hunting. My son shoots the 143gr in his Savage 260 and they have performed well out to 900 yards.

white92coupe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree you probably need to just try some out.

When in stock you should check out this brass, https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/83106
I would rate it very close to Lapua grade. Hornady bullets are cheep and you can work loads up for the ones you listed. Depending on the twist of your barrel you can step up in weight class and probably run 195gr Burger EOL Elite Hunter as well or Hornady's 190gr A-Tip. Although I know very little about reloading a 28 Nos I'm sure RL26 would be a good powder with very good speed to take advantage of the high BC bullets.

I generally run with either Berger 180gr bullets but have also had great success with their 168gr Hunting VLD's in .284 caliber. My barrel was chambered to shoot these.

I shoot Hornady 140gr ELD-M in my .260 and they shoot fantastic. My next endeavor is to work up loads with their 143gr ELD-X for hunting. My son shoots the 143gr in his Savage 260 and they have performed well out to 900 yards.

Thanks for the info on the powder and brass. The barrel is 1-8” twist. I’ve thought about using something around 150 gr for deer and 160 or larger for elk. I’ve read good and bad as far as being able to chamber the 195s. Still doing tons of reading on what I want to load on the heavier side. It’s a Browning X-bolt Hell’s Canyon Long Range.

I think I could get by with the 160ish gr for deer without destroying too much meet. I’m intrigued with the high BC of the Accibond LR and the ELD-X.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Any of the bullets you mentioned won't come apart like the 120gr ballistic tips you've been shooting. I'm a Accubond fan, they've done well at any speed I've pushed them to on game, little hole in, slightly larger hole out. I shoot the 140gr out of my 280 and 140gr and 160gr out of my .280AI

white92coupe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Any of the bullets you mentioned won't come apart like the 120gr ballistic tips you've been shooting. I'm a Accubond fan, they've done well at any speed I've pushed them to on game, little hole in, slightly larger hole out. I shoot the 140gr out of my 280 and 140gr and 160gr out of my .280AI

Thanks! I’m going to pick up some of the Hornady ELD-X tomorrow. Then I just need some range time!

Latest posts

Top Bottom