Horton, Barnett, etc...what are your opinions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been reading and studying this subject to buy one.
Heres what I came up with. If money doesn't matter start at top of list, if it does start at bottom.
1. Excalibur
2. Tenpoint
3. Parker
4. Wicked Ridge (made by Tenpoint)
5. Carbon Force-Eastman x-force
6. Horton
7. Barnett
8. made in china junk

Barnetts are considered the Walmart brand of crossbows and have made the most bows. They also seem to have the most complaints and poorest customer service.

Personally I will probably go with a Horton as my first crossbow just to see if I'm going to like hunting with one. Then sell it after a year and upgrade to a Tenpoint or Parker.

FAL guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been reading and studying this subject to buy one.
Heres what I came up with. If money doesn't matter start at top of list, if it does start at bottom.
1. Excalibur
2. Tenpoint
3. Parker
4. Wicked Ridge (made by Tenpoint)
5. Carbon Force-Eastman x-force
6. Horton
7. Barnett
8. made in china junk

Barnetts are considered the Walmart brand of crossbows and have made the most bows. They also seem to have the most complaints and poorest customer service.

Personally I will probably go with a Horton as my first crossbow just to see if I'm going to like hunting with one. Then sell it after a year and upgrade to a Tenpoint or Parker.

You forgot PSE. I would rate their TAC series cbows in the top 3.

Clean Harry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been shooting a Barnett Predator for three years and really like the way it shoot, accuray and power. I have taken 6 deer with it. The only drawback is the weight - 9 lbs. Contrary to what was mentioned earlier, recurves are much lighter, but are longer axle to axle. Look at Middleton too at middleton.com. I know where you can get one in OKC.

Mark Munkres

Marksman
Reaction score
I think there are a lot of good crossbows out there. I have heard of no one that didn't love their Excalibur bow. The reason I didn't buy an Excalibur is because I plan on hunting a lot out of ground blinds and was concerned about the width of the bow compared to a compound. I may have been overly-concerned about that , but if not for that I would have bought an Excalibur based just off what the users say about those bows. I also considered Parker, but what I kept reading about the bow I bought was that it was one of the best bows for the money.

Mark Munkres

Marksman
Reaction score
I bought mine from a place called Wyvern Creations. They sell all brands of crossbows and crossbow accesories. I found out about them on another forum. You can speak personally with a person who had knowledge about cross bows. Check them out.

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have the Ten Point GT Flex and love it. It’s a recurve xbow. Simple, light, and effective. The trigger on it is good IMO. A quality trigger mechanism is critical to accuracy.

I shoot a 385gr bolt and it pops through deer very easily.

I like the simplicity and light weight of the recurve. It is wider than the compound, but I haven't had any issues in a tree or blind.

As previously mentioned Ten Point has outstanding customer service and they offer quality products.

I would put Excalibur and Ten Point at the top of my list.

ArealGunNut

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a barnett quad 400 this year and love it. I bought the package deal locally for 289 and includes 4 bolts quiver scope, everything but a rope cocker which i recommend. It's rated at 345fps and for the money I don't think you will find a faster crossbow. It is kinda heavy and alittle loud though. I am very pleased with it so far.

pro67

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a Horton vision 175 and I love it. It is not very wide with the reverse limb setup . Free easy to hunt in tight places. You can shoot it out of a truck window.

Latest posts

Top Bottom