" Hover Velocity " _ Is there such a phenomenon?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Does a helicopter in a hover maintaining its' position over a stationary point have velocity?

• YES

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • NO

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • A helicopter doesn't fly it just beats the air into submission.

Votes: 6 35.3%

• Total voters

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was listening to something the other day either on TV or a podcast I can't remember which.

The person talking used the words Hover Velocity. In addition to this, can't remember the sentence or the context of the sentence.

I put it to you'se guys.

Does a helicopter in a hover have velocity?

FOR THIS QUESTION, the helicopter is not moving vertically, horizontally, or in any other direction relative to its' original hovering position.

Force Mass Gravity Air Distance Time
F=mhelicopterg
F=m
aira
m
helicopterg=maira

Velocity V=d/t

Acceleration is velocity per unit time, so a=v/t.
Helicopter - hel·i·cop·ter

/ˈheləˌkäptər/
Noun, a loose assemblage of aeronautical parts all moving in the same general direction.

Last edited:

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In the real world, that hover isn't perfectly still, so there is some movement, and if there's movement, there's velocity. Also consider that it has to maintain enough lateral airspeed to keep its ground speed at zero, or it'll start moving with the wind. The rotor is also moving air to maintain lift, so it is maintaining a vertical airspeed. So, yeah, I'd say that a helicopter in hover actually has several velocity components, it just works out that they all balance each other out relative to the ground.

Duncandl

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well….. according to the last SH-3G Helicopter Crewman I spoke with (myself) we agreed on the answer and it is Yes, the ability to overcome the winds and other mechanical oddities there is a nice little device for the “Dry” crewman to hold the hover in place (as close as possible) using the “Hover Trim” handle located just forward of the cargo door on most helicopters where precise hover is required.

Latest posts

Top Bottom