" Hover Velocity " _ Is there such a phenomenon?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Does a helicopter in a hover maintaining its' position over a stationary point have velocity?

• YES

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • NO

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • A helicopter doesn't fly it just beats the air into submission.

Votes: 6 35.3%

• Total voters

1911DA

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not to steal the thread .......but imho .......a helicopter is a collection of parts flying in the same general direction

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are the propellers pushing down on the air or pulling up on the air?
It's just like a wing. The greater normal pressure under the blades pushes the blades up ... when they are rotating around on their hub, of course! It's the air pushing up. There is no sucking on helicopters, just politics. Oh, wait!

Woody

red dirt shootist

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Seems to me there are two factors, ground speed and air speed. Ground speed would be variable, because of earths rotational speed, latitude, and altitude, if you were hovering above a fixed position on earth, hover velocity would increase with altitude, and decrease with latitude, fastest being over the equator, just like rim speed increases with diameter. Air speed would only be a + or - to the equation. If your helicopter is in auto rotate mode, hover velocity would be the last thing on your mind. Please keep in mind I don't really know what I'm talking about........ever.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Velocity = movement of a mass a certain distance in a certain timeframe.

If the earth rotates at 1037 +- MPH can we say we as passengers are traveling the same velocity?

Latest posts

Top Bottom