How do you start/season your steaks? What's on the menu tonight?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a steak blend that I've working on perfecting for decades and it's perfect now. If I'm cooking a sirloin I'll sprinkle it liberally with my seasoning and let it sit until it comes to room temperature. Once at room temp I'll poke the heck out of it with a fork and give it some Worcestershire sauce and some balsamic vinegar and finish with just enough olive oil or canola to get a thin layer of oil. It's not for sticking, it helps develop a more even crust. I'll put it on a very, very hot grill, get some pretty crosshatching and a slight charred look to medium rare. The char isn't actually char, it's a caramelization of the sugar in the balsamic... It is amazing! Occasionally I'll saute some mushrooms in butter, garlic and some creole seasoning then add heavy cream and reduce it into the most amazing thing ever to meet a steak.

If I'm cooking a ribeye or other well marbled steak I'll season it with my house seasoning and let it sit till room temp then go straight to a very hot grill. Cooking to medium rare and getting a great seared crust... It's better than you'll ever get in any restaurant.

Dang, I really want to cook some steak now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom