How do you start/season your steaks? What's on the menu tonight?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
20130401_143707.jpg

Sea salt, Worcestershire, Slap ya Mama and fresh garlic. Bring to room temp and sear on a very hot grill finished with a pat of garlic butter served rare to medium rare. Bring it off the grill and rest 5 minutes, top with carmalized onions and mushrooms in a red wine reduction.

Footnote: I do use A1 on most steaks, why? Because I LIKE it!

Lightsluvr

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Marinate with Teriyaki Marinade in a glass dish at room temp - at least an hour, turning after 30 minutes. Add Sea salt and fresh ground pepper before placing on very hot grill (to get the sear). Turn 45 degrees to get the cross-hatch after good sear. Reduce heat to med-high to finish. Turn ONLY ONCE, repeating the sea salt, fresh ground pepper and 45 degree turn. I pull mine off the heat at medium rare, the spouse likes medium. Let them rest at least 5-10 minutes before serving to let the juices "set".

LL

Dalejbrass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have several friends and all my family members who come to me for their steaks. Once upon a time, I used to be able to get good steaks at restaurants, but not so much these days.

As stated earlier, couple things are a must: first is the quality of the meat. You can't polish a turd. Second is let it sit for a while.

Here's what I do to keep my steaks consistent and awesome.
1. I tenderize them with a fork. I just stab the steaks with a fork on each side. This lets the meat soak up the marinade.
2. Put a cap full of Dale's seasoning marinade on each side of the steak. Less if they are small steaks. You won't need salt with this method, as the seasoning is relatively salty.
3. Cover each side with Worcester sauce.
4. Add Tonys creole seasoning to each side of steak (the green and white can). I don't layer it on as it can become over powering if too heavy. It's really a taste thing. I put more of it on my steaks than I do for my girls.
5. Sprinkle with garlic powder
6. Cover and Let sit in juices as long as possible. I turn the steaks in the marinade at least once before grilling.
7. Preheat the grill. Hotter the better. I want my steaks to really sizzle when they hit the grill. The idea is too sear the side of the steak without burning it.
8. 3-4 minutes per side.

The only thing that I don't currently do and that I've learned here is to let the steaks "settle" after taking them off the grill. I will definitely try this the next time around.

Grill and be happy!

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not just steak but any meat should rest after the heat, 10 minutes is my minimum. I tent with foil, keeps it warm while it rests and doesn't let the steam turn that crust you worked so hard to develop doesn't get all soft.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So who pokes with a fork? I NEVER poke with a fork. Proper marinading will not not need a bunch of pokings to let marinade in. Holes to let moisture in also let moisture out.

I cooked good steaks for a girlfriend and her son. She said that is the best steak she has ever had. A couple weeks later, I started getting texts from numbers I didn't recognize. They went something like this. "You don't know me, but I am (insert girls name) a GF of Sara." "She says you cook the most amazing steaks." "You need to come out and cook steaks for all of us."

I showed Sara the proper way to prepare the steak. She wanted to stab it with a fork all over. I explained why that was a bad idea. I then told her to go ahead and pierce that steak all over and I wouldn't do it to mine and we would see what difference it made. I made a believer out of her.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
So who pokes with a fork? I NEVER poke with a fork. Proper marinading will not not need a bunch of pokings to let marinade in. Holes to let moisture in also let moisture out.

I cooked good steaks for a girlfriend and her son. She said that is the best steak she has ever had. A couple weeks later, I started getting texts from numbers I didn't recognize. They went something like this. "You don't know me, but I am (insert girls name) a GF of Sara." "She says you cook the most amazing steaks." "You need to come out and cook steaks for all of us."

I showed Sara the proper way to prepare the steak. She wanted to stab it with a fork all over. I explained why that was a bad idea. I then told her to go ahead and pierce that steak all over and I wouldn't do it to mine and we would see what difference it made. I made a believer out of her.

Some people just don't get it.

Its like cooking with gas or in a pan. Why would you when you can use charcoal for much better flavor?

Don't even get me started on marinades! If you don't like the taste of beef, why bother!

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Some people just don't get it.

Its like cooking with gas or in a pan. Why would you when you can use charcoal for much better flavor?

Don't even get me started on marinades! If you don't like the taste of beef, why bother!

I use propane because I would be limited to not cooking at all when we go under the annual summer burn ban which now seems to always include outdoor grilling. I do have a stick burner as well as a charcoal grill when my local government feels like I deserve the right to use it.

I will say, I upgraded to the infrared grill this past summer and it has dramatically improved the taste. Throw a few big wood chips on the grill as well, and it gets a good smoke flavor as well.

Rumur

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do a lot of what the rest of you do but I begin as soon as I get the steaks home. I break out the Food Saver and marinate them first and seal them up. I let them set for about 30 minutes and then freeze them.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In Baghdad we had that jack daniels marinate bags the embassy had. About 8-12 hours, grilled with charcoal. It was awesome

It is even more awesome when its marinated 2-3 days.

And you just taught me something. I used to stab it with a knife before it went into the marinade. I'll stop doing that now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom