How do you train?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree, training is a necessity for self defense. Training has been a pet peeve of mine for years. What I find irritating are the instructors that are teaching marksmanship and that's okay, (it's a basic skill we all need) but to pass it off as self defense as some advertise isn't okay. Unless a person studies fighting, as it pertains to self defense, they will buy into the age old trope that marksmanship skill equals fighting skill, the best shot will win the fight. That a person can shoot good groups on a square range on an inanimate target has little in common with a bad guy putting pistol your face in a dimly lighted parking lot. Any number of street robbery videos show that having the skill to shoot the wings off a fly at 100 yards in wind storm will do little to stop the bad guys. Self defense training has to at least in part replicate self defense. Unfortunately we have for the most part sanitized what is an ugly thing to the point that the training has little to do with the goal.

Anyway, just my rant for the day.
AMEN!

ricco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I smell some botkins.

Always a problem with paper shooting on a square range at an inanimate target and calling it self defense training/fight training, everything works and you always win. A person can grow tall when losing is never even a consideration. Until you train with a resisting opponent it's pretty much a fantasy.

Much better and more realistic self defense training.

ricco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Four robberies caught on video. The first and forth are parking lot attacks and are examples on what I base my self defense practice. Most marksmanship centric self defense training does little to prepare for such attacks.

Last edited:

Slim Deal

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As has been said so many times, everything is something but nothing is everything so different scenarios have to be considered. There is no comparison between the young motivated highly conditioned Spec Ops guy and Joe Average. So that said, the CCW needs to focus on the most likely. Do active shooters situations happen, of course, but are they likely? Is the bad guy in the dimly lighted parking lot likely, yes, at least more so than the active shooter scenario. Street crime is on the rise with no sign of diminishing. There are only so many hours of training/practice time, ammo, money and plain old want to available to the average person so the question is, how do you spend it? Do you spend it doing Spec Ops/SWAT stuff or bad guy in the dimly lighted parking lot stuff.

I agree 100% on wound management, also, the better your physical condition the more likely you are to cope with a serious injury.
Everything is changing in our world, and it's changing at the speed of light. It used to be all the training a person needed was to defend against regular street crime. In the future, the possibility defending yourself and family against armed criminal gangs, and foreign and domestic enemies.. If you want to survive that you will need some some advanced training.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Always a problem with paper shooting on a square range at an inanimate target and calling it self defense training/fight training, everything works and you always win. A person can grow tall when losing is never even a consideration. Until you train with a resisting opponent it's pretty much a fantasy.

Much better and more realistic self defense training.

Is that you in the video?

Latest posts

Top Bottom