How do you train?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been watching Pat Macnamara and Tu Lam videos, utilizing their methods at range
and workouts. Pat is funny, his "basic dude stuff" and "Sentinal" videos are great "as the agent in charge of your own personal security detail you must"
Tu Lam is one super skilled badass warrior in a garden Ronin. His life story is amazing to learn about

Last edited:

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
3381845A-EE0C-4D7D-BB86-1030A8A3243B.jpeg

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
First shot accuracy is my weak point so I spend time on that, and transition between targets.
I seldom practice drawing from the holster with live rounds for safety reasons, so I practice the draw with dry fire. Work on my live round fist shot from the low ready. Depending on the range I also practice with the gun in position just out of the holster, pointing down range, so I can bring it up and press to target.
That one fact has always made me mad. Every range has that stupid rule of no drawing from the holster. Now I know it is for liability purposes because the average Joe Jack Citizen can just walk in off the street with ID and money and start shooting. Ranges cannot afford a full time safety officer and therefore put the onus back on the citizen for range safety. The fact remains the holster, is a big part of carrying a gun whether concealed or not. The quality of the holster, the positioning, the retention mechanism, frequency of use, (familiarity) is very necessary to good training.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That one fact has always made me mad. Every range has that stupid rule of no drawing from the holster. Now I know it is for liability purposes because the average Joe Jack Citizen can just walk in off the street with ID and money and start shooting. Ranges cannot afford a full time safety officer and therefore put the onus back on the citizen for range safety. The fact remains the holster, is a big part of carrying a gun whether concealed or not. The quality of the holster, the positioning, the retention mechanism, frequency of use, (familiarity) is very necessary to good training.
Wilshire used to let you draw if you have a safety officer watch you first to check you out. That was a couple of years ago, don't know if they still allow it.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As a complete new guy to this whole training thing, after you are trained, do you practice what you were trained to do? Or do you train for more training, or is that something else?
It seems to me that if you spend all your time training, you will never have time to practice what you were trained to do and in so doing you will never get good at your training.

ricco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a complete new guy to this whole training thing, after you are trained, do you practice what you were trained to do? Or do you train for more training, or is that something else?
It seems to me that if you spend all your time training, you will never have time to practice what you were trained to do and in so doing you will never get good at your training.
After you have decided the reason for your training and get that training then you practice what you were taught in training.

That doesn't mean that you should stop looking for a better way.

Unfortunately there is a lot of chaff in the wheat, as Bruce Lee said, " Absorb what is useful, discard what is not, add what is uniquely your own"

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What kind of training would I need to help me decide what kind of training I need? Would teaching be considered training? If you are teaching would it be helpful to practice what you teach so you can train others? This is all very confusing.
Also with the advent of many new hybrids of wheat there is not nearly as much chaff as in Bruce Lee's time.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom