How many years?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Been putting in for elk as long as I can remember, and never drawn one. Finally broken down and put in for a doe tag on the antelope hunt and drew one ... then missed a shot at about 400 yards.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Whats the deal with the draw hunts? I understand it for Elk and Antelope but why for deer, turkey, or quail? Are they out of season hunts or do you get the public land all to yourself?

To expand on what MakeItHappen said, you get to hunt places like Stare Parks, Wild Life Refuge, Miltary Compounds etc which are completely closed off to hunting except if drawn it. Or you get to Gun hunt in places that are Archery only like Push and Atoka.

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Although I've been hunting most of my life (I'm 32), I didn't start applying for the draw hunts until about 5 years ago. I only put in for buck/bull hunts, and usually in places that I can hopefully kill a nice one. I wasn't raised as a trophy hunter, so the draw hunts have kind of become my trophy hunts if that makes sense. I have plenty of places I can go fill the freezer. Besides the speedgoat, elk and deer hunts, I also put in for the turkey hunts.

I got drawn for the first time last year for a deer rifle hunt and was able to take a nice buck that now overlooks my living room. I was drawn for another deer hunt this year (muzzleloader at Pushmataha). Hopefully the trend continues and I'm able to take a good buck this year as well. I was really surprised to get drawn 2 years in a row.

N

NickUSN

I'm not sure. My father usually only puts us in for combined hunts until this year. We both got picked up for Antelope doe tags. Not sure how far they go back but I have not been picked up on a draw hunt in 16yrs, but about 6 of those years I was stationed else where.

Latest posts

Top Bottom