how much of a load can oak support?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dru

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know that's a loaded question but we have this kitchen table that used to be my parents, its actually what my sisters and i were raised on. It comes with two oak benches that will comfortably seat 3 kids (up to mid teens, assuming normal widths) and can easily handle two adults in terms of width. I would like to keep them around for awhile so I am trying to get an idea of the type of load they can bear. The benches themselves look to be about 2 inches think and maybe 14 inches wide. They are constructed of several planks that each appear to be about 1x5 or so. The benches are about 5 feet long with the supports at each end. The planks that make up the bench would most closely resemble ===

The problem is that my father in law happens to be a man of considerable, ahem, size. I would say he hits 400 lbs easily. He also seems to enjoy sitting right in the middle of the bench. He has already managed to literally pancake one of our chairs from a previous table. Since this table set is much nicer than the last I about have a coronary everytime I see him sit on the bench and see the ensuing sagging. Before I say anything (yes I care more about the bench than his feelings...I know, I'm an ass) I am trying to get an idea of how much weight they can handle. If they aren't in any danger of breaking than all's well and I'll just drink to calm my nerves.

So anyone have an idea about what kind of load these things can handle?

dru

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Picture added
i1114.photobucket.com_albums_k533_Beefcake73099_IMG_4310.jpg

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Stack some cinder blocks under that bench whenever he comes over, otherwise you run the risk of having to pick splinters outta Poppa's backside.

There could be some inherent weakness in that seemingly sturdy bench just waiting for him to plop his big ass down to reveal itself. It's gonna eat at your soul until it happens. Eventually you'll being praying for that bench to break just to get it over with. One day you'll finally snap and scream JUST BREAK IT ALREADY GOTDAMNIT! and everyone is going to look at you with looks of confusion and shock. I mean you'll be able to hear a pin drop. You'll take a walk outside to clear your head, and well, because you had to get the hell outta there, man. Probably meet a guy on the street and strike up a conversation. He's a heroin dealer. "No" you think to yourself, but that's not what comes out when he makes his pitch. A year later and you're strung out as all hell and telling the whole story to some dude outside a liquor store while wearing a doormat that says "Welcome to 7-11" as a poncho.

Yep.

dowmace

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I would not say with confidence that the bench you have is good for a 400lb center dead weight. Maybe on the ends but I wouldn't put that kind of stress in the middle of a plank like that. Tell him to keep his ass over a vertical support to not ruin your good furniture. Or you know the other thing drop some weight would be cool too.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seriously man, the entertainment value of him doing a triple lindy off the back of that bench when it capsizes is well worth the price of admission.

Hell, I'd go have a duplicate made from wormy pine just for when he comes over to accelerate the desired result.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Seriously man, the entertainment value of him doing a triple lindy off the back of that bench when it capsizes is well worth the price of admission.

Hell, I'd go have a duplicate made from wormy pine just for when he comes over to accelerate the desired result.

And train a video camera on it to film the results. Send it to funny videos and possibly win enough to buy a whole new set. :D

1fast8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
while the other posts are funny i will give you some real info cut a piece of wood the exact lenght ot the inside dim. between the 2 legs and put it in the center all the way to the top then screw it through the leg at each end. it will support the bench top and even add a little lateral support

Latest posts

Top Bottom