how much of a load can oak support?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll echo the suggestion to add some support under the center of the bench.

But wait till he comes over, then jump up exclaiming "Oh! Wait!" while you run and get the support, and install it while he's watching. Might compel him to look at dieting - but your wife might make you sleep on the sofa that night :wink2:

purplehaze

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have to go with ridge on this. If I may have some latitude on this ridge. If op lives in an upper scale the dealer he will run into will be a coke dealer and as the op burns through his money, he will eventually have lost his: house, wife, car and kids and will find himself breaking into sheds for lawn equipment to sell to fund his crack habit. Also, the smock may be a Circle K or fiesta mart door mat depending on where he ends up living. I also, think that these turn of events may possibly be unavoidable and they are your fate.

mspaeth53

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have made some furniture before and I think the bench top would support 400 lbs, you could probalbly park a truck on it. BUT the weakest part is where the legs join the top. any side to side motion will colapse the bench in a heart beat.
Good Luck....

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A quick trip to Ace Hardware (or any hardware store) will make this problem go away. Measure the length of that bench (between the legs) and pick up some steel angle iron cut to that length. The guys at Ace can cut it for you if you don't have a way to do so yourself. Just bore a series of holes in the angle iron and attach it to the bottom of the bench(es) with wood screws. You'll never see the metal support under normal use and it should give you the strength (and peace of mind) that you're after. You can then give him that second piece of pie without worry.

Latest posts

Top Bottom