Grip strength.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Droff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I suppose I'm in the old-er category (61 this year). I've got a couple things for grip, one is called the Captains of Crush, which I have not used much at all, these are pretty stiff, even for the lowest resistance size.

I had a guy weld up a couple farmer's walk bars for me many years ago, these I have used fairly regularly over the years, but just now getting back to them. They work more than just your grip but that is usually a weak point. Just lift heavy things and carry them around seems to work.

Attachments

• Grip1.jpg
    Grip1.jpg
    347 KB · Views: 0
  • Grip2.jpg
    Grip2.jpg
    298.6 KB · Views: 0

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dad worked a guy (50 years ago) that shot BP flintlock pistol comps. He had an old truck axle that he heated and bent to the angle to match his pistol grip.
He would pick the axle up from the bench and point it, while moving around the shop, for strength exercise.
Every other day, for aim practice, he had a plumb Bob that attached to front end of axle, hung almost to the floor. The metal plumb was in a pint Mason jar. He would "aim" the axle and not hit the glass jar with the suspended metal plumb.

Instead of going from bench down to stool and back to bench; go from bench up to shoulder level with arm extended to fire position. Don't drop it on your toe!

I have a lead bar that looks just like your RR rail. I may drag it out and see what my tore shoulder will tolerate.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Instead of going from bench down to stool and back to bench; go from bench up to shoulder level with arm extended to fire position. Don't drop it on your toe!

I
@turkeyrun

4 metal plates in neck, one on each side, one front and back, one metal shoulder, pins and screw in my hands and wrists, broke back twice, metal rods in spine, the list goes on and on!

My entire undercarriage has been rebuilt. I feel good, just stiff but still have most my strength. I just have gotten slower.

I cannot scratch the top of my head unless I lean over, so the bench to stool will have to suffice you old Bird!

And man that toe never got pretty again, year after it suffered that huge ass severe damage they finally took the nail off! **** that hurt bad!

You sure have a good memory being old as **** as you are! LOL!

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I suppose I'm in the old-er category (61 this year). I've got a couple things for grip, one is called the Captains of Crush, which I have not used much at all, these are pretty stiff, even for the lowest resistance size.

I had a guy weld up a couple farmer's walk bars for me many years ago, these I have used fairly regularly over the years, but just now getting back to them. They work more than just your grip but that is usually a weak point. Just lift heavy things and carry them around seems to work.

I like the looks of those grip things you got.

Growing up and when younger we had wood dowel rods of varying diameters tied to steel lifting plates and we would roll up and down. Most excellent exercise for hands, forearms and shoulders.

We also milked Cows and Goats growing up till leaving home. I sold my last Milk Cow when I was 30.
That will give a guy grip strength!!

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
@turkeyrun

4 metal plates in neck, one on each side, one front and back, one metal shoulder, pins and screw in my hands and wrists, broke back twice, metal rods in spine, the list goes on and on!

My entire undercarriage has been rebuilt. I feel good, just stiff but still have most my strength. I just have gotten slower.

I cannot scratch the top of my head unless I lean over, so the bench to stool will have to suffice you old Bird!

And man that toe never got pretty again, year after it suffered that huge ass severe damage they finally took the nail off! **** that hurt bad!

You sure have a good memory being old as **** as you are! LOL!

I had a baseball coach that was a big proponent of rolling a dowel rod up and down with bricks attached by a cord.

If you don't remember and learn, you repeat. I don't want to smash my toe.
When they installed your Terminator frame, they should have done your toes, too.

They used to just leave you crippled. $ix Million Dollar Man taught them a lot. Just stay out of airports and do what you can.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back when racing dirt bikes and finally three wheelers, grip strength was what cost me more than any other. Used those hand springs on my commute to and from work for years with no improvement.
18 laps into a 20 lap moto and I was done.
Finally realized I had the death grip on the handlebars the entire time. Learned how to relax the grip between the moments of terror when taking jumps or turns that was a game changer.
Finally morphed that into competition pistol shooting in USPSA. Started again with the death grip for the entire stage, then as experience took over, realized the same principal applied. Relax the grip while moving and not shooting.
We all lose hand strength when aging. It's a matter of life in general.
Kudu's to those above working on keeping what they have and improving it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom