How Often and When Do You Change Your Batteries?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to change batteries yearly, usually just after the 1st of the year, but changed to AS NEEDED (except for smoke alarm) after the prices for batteries went up to ridiculous levels. My go-to has always been Duracell and have only experienced one 'leakage' problem, and even that was more than 20 years ago. Energizer is my lithium choice, which I use only in my 'headlight' and WML. I keep spares on hand for all that I do use (AAA, AA, 9v, 123, and CR2032).

Last edited:

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
but changed to AS NEEDED (ecept for smoke alarm) after the prices for batteries went up to ridiculous levels.
speaking of batteries going ridiculous. I always use lithium in most stuff (trail cameras, etc ) The best thing I purchased was a cheap battery tester. Most trail cameras use 6 or 8 batteries.....when it 'dies' I have found many times it may be only 1 or 2 batteries that actually need to be replaced.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for reminding me to change e-lock batteries. We recently changed all 7 smoke detectors with new 10 yr batteries. Love them, our old ones would always go off with beeps around 12 midnight to 4am....lol

RockHopper

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
2032's once a year or so, but my 123 usage is pretty high compared to many. It was a new pair every week for the TRL-1 before I switched out to the single cell trl7. So I've halved that amount thankfully.
I also stick with branded light batteries. I've used surefire a few times, but streamlight brand seem to last longer. I figured that if the same brand battery screws up the light in some way, I've got a better chance at a warrantee replacement. Plus...streamlight branded batteries never seem to be any more expensive than the other major name brands when it comes to bulk buying.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nothing like a low battery setting off a smoke alarm at 3am.

This thread remind me, I need to change the battery in the safe, not the gun safe.

Smoke alarms get changed in Fall on Daylight Savings Time. Safes at same time, usually. Others when needed. I carry spares.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
2032's once a year or so, but my 123 usage is pretty high compared to many. It was a new pair every week for the TRL-1 before I switched out to the single cell trl7. So I've halved that amount thankfully.
I also stick with branded light batteries. I've used surefire a few times, but streamlight brand seem to last longer. I figured that if the same brand battery screws up the light in some way, I've got a better chance at a warrantee replacement. Plus...streamlight branded batteries never seem to be any more expensive than the other major name brands when it comes to bulk buying.
A few years before Covid, Home Depot had their CR123's for $11.00 each. I said to myself, Never buy batteries at HD.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Don’t use a lithium 9v in your gun safe. It will die and not give you the low battery warning. At first it will be an Oh Crap moment. I freaked out and thought something broke internally. Turned out I just needed to replace the battery.
Always a 6 battery card of 2032’s in my range bag.

Latest posts

Top Bottom