Autos that tell you when to do the oil change?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That feature has been around for a long time. The guy that changes my oil and filter says some of the Cadillacs from the 90's had it.
Our F-250 has it so I use it now. Used to be a 5000 mile change with synthetic, but the computer monitors how one drives and sets the time to change accordingly.
Since our truck is 95% highway, it stretches it out to about 7000 miles or so.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Strange you should post this. I just got a Honda CRV Hybrid and looking on some of the forums it's almost 11k miles before the car tells you it needs an oil change. In the Accord I had before I usually waited until the maintenance indicator came on. I've owned Hondas since 1986 except for a short period with a Toyota Tacoma. With synthetic I say let the car tell you.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to think they did nothing but count the miles after you reset them and had a default setting to alert you at. Well since changing around and trying some different oils I can confirm that it’s a “smarter system” than I gave it credit for. I believe Dennis is correct above.

Edit to add: My experience is based on dealing with 6.7 Cummins and 6.2L vortec.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Strange you should post this. I just got a Honda CRV Hybrid and looking on some of the forums it's almost 11k miles before the car tells you it needs an oil change. In the Accord I had before I usually waited until the maintenance indicator came on. I've owned Hondas since 1986 except for a short period with a Toyota Tacoma. With synthetic I say let the car tell you.
I usually change mine in the fall each year with synthetic, but my car is ridiculously low mileage. I've had it over a year and still only have 3200 miles on it.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't even know what the stated oil change interval is in our three vehicles according to the manuals or who it was that told me many moons ago to change the oil and filter every 3000 miles but that's what I do.....never have used synthetic oil.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Every vehicle whether gas or diesel that has had that feature, when it was down to 15% left or so on the first oil change I would send a sample to Blackstone. Every time it came back well within specs and had lots of life left so I've always trusted it since. The vehicles that don't have it also happen to be the vehicles that spend a lot of time on dirt roads and I just change it every 5K miles.

Latest posts

Top Bottom