how to invest in rental houses?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t_towner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm trepid to chime in but I've done this for over a decade, invest in real estate, manage for a couple hundred investors and several hundred properties. I've had the fortune and mis-fortune of seeing what works and what doesn't.

Real estate is a great long term wealth building vehicle. It's a long term play and not get rich quick (IMO). If you want to do this on the side it seems to work best when the person has a solid W2 job, not cash strapped and can put the mortgages on a 15 or 20 year amortization schedule. Like most things in life it really helps if you begin with the end goal in mind. Determining the end game up front will greatly affect the initial acquisition strategy (local vs secondary financing, etc). (but I started broke, without a plan and still made it).

From a 10,000 ft level, here's what we use for guidelines. And yes, these deals are out there!
- 1978 or newer (it's modern construction. Much older and maintenance $ will be a significant factor)
- 2 baths. 1.5 bath minimum. Prefer 3 bedrooms, 4 beds are great and 2 beds work.
- 16% of the gross rents is the max, all-in number you can buy a house for. (it's a quick rule of thumb).
- school district matters greatly
- section 8 is hard and can be expensive work. All that glitters is not always gold. Sec 8- go big or go home.
- typically like to stay under 1,800 sq ft. A hard turn on a big sq ft property can crush you.
- properly screening tenants is extremely important. It's make or break. The bad ones Can lie really well. Past does predict the future. Not always but 95% of the time.
- a tenant will not catch up if they get more than 2 months behind. (it's cheaper for them to move on)

Example: house rents for $1,000/month. That's 12,000/year. Divide by 16% and the max you should pay is $75k. Thats the all in price after rehab expenses. If your close to this you'll be fine.
This takes into account vacancy, maintenance and other stuff not to bore everyone with.

If buying a rental property "market value" should not be a great consideration. A person should be smart on value but it's all about cash flow. Cash flow pays the bills, value doesn't until there's a liquidation event.

Sorry to ramble. I'll stop for now. I love this stuff and eat/breath it. If you need help screening a Tenant just let me know. We have a slick screening system.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
lots of great info .. been doing this for 25+ years ..
have seen lots of different markets over the years.
it's not often that one is able to leverage completely into a property and still net positive cash flow.

one reason property values for starter single family homes has climbed steadily is not what one thinks.
which is a first time home owner buying the property.

yes that's still happening but corporate is coming or more accurately already in the market.
what's happened is wall street $$$$ have been invested into single family homes in clusters.
a single family home is way too small to be of interest to wall street ...

but amass say 1,500+ units into one geographic area .. that becomes a $150 million dollar play.
plenty large enough to hire professional property managers and professional maintenance crew.
all of a suddenly that $150 million is returning 10%+ net returns with little to no risks to initial investment.

a single family home is traditionally among the lowest of all investment risks.
but that's for a homeowner .. the rules are changing ...

Latest posts

Top Bottom