How to train ones self to hold steady

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtrider73068

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No question, more weight will help to dampen some of the "wiggle".

More strength in your arms will help as well.

There is a method, I'm not sure I can describe it well enough here, but you kind of stick your hip out, rest your elbow (as much as possible) on your hip, extend your forearm upward and rest the rifle on your hand. So that the weight of the rifle is partially supported on your hip, through your forearm, if that makes any sense. As one instructor told me, "Bone is stronger than muscle." You may need someone to actually show you how to do this, or maybe someone here can describe it better. If done right, it is a little more like shooting from a rest... but you still won't be able to hold a rifle perfectly still, it may help though.

Yea I got idea of the stance your talking about, will have to try it.

dirtrider73068

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've noticed that the more I focus on being steady the less steady I get. If I just get on target and take the shot without thinking about it, I shoot better it seems.

Makes sense your fighting to hold still kinda like water in a tub when it making waves harder you try to stop it worse you make, I could just be over thinking and over trying to hold still and its makeing it worse plus thinking about it makes it happen.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yea I got idea of the stance your talking about, will have to try it.
It kind of forms a triangle between the rifle on top, your body at a right angle, and your forearm angling from your waist up to the forend of the rifle. Many shooters will rest the trigger guard on their thumb, with their fingers just in front of the trigger guard. Hope that helps a little.

Yeah the video above is a good representation of what I'm talking about.

Latest posts

Top Bottom