Howa Mini Action Rifle and 6.5 Grendel input.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Anyone have any input on these? I saw one today in 6.5 Grendel at my local Big R (just found out they sell guns and ammo) and the price seems decent.

I also know nothing about 6.5 Grendel. Any input on that caliber in a bolt gun?

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Love that caliber in a bolt or semi. Have both. A lot of the guys at the Grendel forum like the howa mini action and barrel, but dog the stock. Most end up putting it in a chassis system. I can’t say much, I love the Ruger American I have, stock sucks. I’ll be putting it in the Magpul one as soon as I see one. They were launched at SHOT this year.

Only drawback is the inexpensive Wolf 100gr stuff has more than tripled to $.75-80/rd and brass stuff is pushing $1.50-2. If you reload and can find components, you’re golden. Great hunting round just not a great plinking or target round right now.

Last edited:

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 6.5 Grendel is an extremely underrated cartridge. Extremely efficient for velocity, energy, and range for the weight of the powder charge. Capable of reaching 1K yards with the right load, and a legitimate 300 yard hunting cartridge with the right bullet...all with about half the recoil of a .308.

As GlockPride stated: The biggest downside is factory ammo right now.

I have considered a bolt Grendel rifle myself, but am currently only rocking an AR in that chambering right now.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Love that caliber in a bolt or semi. Have both. A lot of the guys at the Grendel forum like the howa mini action and barrel, but dog the stock. Most end up putting it in a chassis system. I can’t say much, I love the Ruger American I have, stock sucks. I’ll be putting it in the Magpul one as soon as I see one. They were launched at SHOT this year.

Only drawback is the inexpensive Wolf 100gr stuff has more than tripled to $.75-80/rd and brass stuff is pushing $1.50-2. If you reload and can find components, you’re golden. Great hunting round just not a great plinking target round right now.

Who makes stocks/chassis for Howa actions? Are they similar to Remington 700’s or??

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Who makes stocks/chassis for Howa actions? Are they similar to Remington 700’s or??
Are you asking who makes the factory stocks? I don’t know, guessing Howa.
I’m trying to think of the one that they like over there. Let me see if I can find something. I believe that are not compatible with the common 70 or 700 series, but not 100% certain.

RangerRick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you asking who makes the factory stocks? I don’t know, guessing Howa.
I’m trying to think of the one that they like over there. Let me see if I can find something. I believe that are not compatible with the common 70 or 700 series, but not 100% certain.
Check Boyd's, have one I like on a 10/22. not sure about center fire?

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Attachments

• B8D692E6-30CA-44B3-B338-032B12930955.png
    B8D692E6-30CA-44B3-B338-032B12930955.png
    391.7 KB · Views: 0

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Howa’s are their own action pattern. The 6.5 Grendel’s are mostly mini actions, which is different from the 1500 short or long actions. MDT, KRG, GRS riflestocks, hogue, Boyd’s, Stockys Stocks, and bell and Carlson all make stocks or chassis for Howa. There’s a few others I’m forgetting. Just gotta look for mini action stocks.

If the Minis are as good as the standard sized actions, you could be stuck with a pretty sweet shooting rifle. My 1500s in 223 and 308 are great, and I like my MDT stock that my 308 sits in.

My only reservation on the mini’s is that the mags are proprietary, and pricey.

I’ve considered 6.5 Grendel in the past, I think it’s a really capable round. I’ve heard some crazy accuracy claims from guys. The case design is based off of one of the most popular benchrest cartridges ever, which is based off of the 7.62x39 cartridge.

Latest posts

Top Bottom