how'd everyone do yesterday?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigelk76

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
ai264.photobucket.com_albums_ii200_bigelk76_DSCN1369.jpg

I(Headhunter) was at my brothers in Western Oklahoma this week and killed this deer Saturday at 8AM. I am using his computer to post the pictures.
Thompson Center with 110 gr Triple 7 and a 300 gr Dead Center at 148 yards. 11 points, 140 inches.

jmiller45

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Very nice buck HeadHunter. Now that I know I have some meat I'll be looking for some rack!

Dlbleak, how far north of crescent are you hunting. I also have some hunting land about 5 miles west and a mile back south of crescent. Been hunting there since I was a little kid. But now I love hunting Northwestern ok. I love being able to see a long ways!

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
that puts you right on the river.should be some nice deer there.i'm 4 north and two east of town.
to the guy in leedey,wow,nice deer.i used to hunt ducks and geese around there before i began deer hunting.saw some really big deer out there.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
killed a Buck opening day of black powder in Pawhuska. Very few shots fired...
I heard a total of 3 shots all day, including mine.

usually it sounds like an artillery range opening day. when I check in my deer...
found out a total of 6 deer was checked in. that was 2pm, so most folks would be done by then.

very strange... saw very little deer sign...
usually deer tracks all over by the creek and pond, but didn't see a one.

in a good spot right above two deer trails, before daylight...
stayed still for 3 hours... nothing... very quietly started stalking...

saw little to no deer sign... finally flushed out a buck who ran in front of me...
50 yds out. meanwhile I swung my black powder rifle to where I thought he would end up.
the buck couldn't tell I was there, so he stopped.

front of buck's body was completely hidden... the rear half wide open.
I thought ... oh no a gut shot... place the crosshairs next to the tree forward as possible ... then shot.

waited a good 35 minutes before moving....
a blind person could have followed that blood trail. found the buck a good 150 yds away.

proceeded to field dress the buck....
completely missed the gut, but lungs, liver and heart was vaporized.
amazing he ran that far with that kind of damage.

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

Jon3830

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think the deer at my place have rangefinders they haven't came closer than 300 yards. so the only thing I have been bagging is naps which sucks because I have been seeing lots of deer.
ai215.photobucket.com_albums_cc142_Jon3830_DSC_0001ee.jpg

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
nice deer CY. I'm like you,very few shots for opening day.when i went out this evening,nothing,not one shot.strange,the check station in crescent has only checked 39 deer total for the year.thats bow,youth and opening weekend for BP. usually twice as many by now.i'm sure it'll change by rifle season.i think the rain amount has altered the routines of the deer. just my opinion.

300WSM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow, its strange to me you guys arent seeing deer. I got to my lease a little late sat morning, got in my tree at 7:05, at 7:30 a 5 pt walked under my stand and i shot him. At 805 i decided to go look, and heard something and a good 8pt was right behind me. He walked around and then walked off, i thought crap should have waited, by then i spotted my deer laying on the ground. Then i waited a little while amd a doe walked through the woods a ways off, then another around 830, then i got down and walked to the truck and waited until my buddy came out, then went and got my deer, he weighed 88. I hunt north of skiatook.

Latest posts

Top Bottom