how'd everyone do yesterday?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nice deer everybody!:D

Strange weekend....Nothing was moving at all. I got sick at work saturday about noon(he, he) and made it out to the field by 3pm. Got in my stand where I can glass about a 2sq mile area, and didn't even see a pheasant.
Sunday morning about 8am a nice big doe walked about 35yds away in some brush. I locked the crosshairs on her and when she stepped into a little clearing I let go. She jumped and ran off with her tail up. Bad sign...
I got down, no hair, no blood, nothing.....Searched the tall grass for about an hour, and got back up in my stand wondering what happened. I looked back at where she was standing when I shot, and about 2' in front of where my muzzle was, a green elm limb was swinging in the breeze shot mostly in two.
Had to have been a complete miss. I guess it was her lucky day.

My buddy shot a 205lb 10 pointer within bow range of I35 south of Tonkawa last night. I'll get pics posted as soon as they can get loaded into photobucket.

DreamingMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Perry, OK.

Saw two groups of turkeys on Friday afternoon. Group 1 (about 12-14) was on the county road running in front of me for about 75 yards till I sped up and they flew 150 yards into a wheat field. Group 2 (5) was 125 yards away and across a creek after we set up. Definitely two different groups. Oh yeah, three coyotes 75 yards away.

Sunday evening at 5:45 had 3 does (2 mature, 1 yearling) and 8 turkeys come out onto wheat about 125 yards away. The deer were working my way just slightly before the light rain began to fall ... maybe it was already raining ... I was down wind and thought it was going to be a good evening. They I hear something behind me a couple times, a mechanical sound of some sort, which got the does attention. One of the 3 stayed at alert for about 10 minutes, then they left in a hurry. White flag and all. My blind may have been silhouetted by the sky and gave me away. About the same time my buddy saw two does in the woods at 40 yards.

I know some people saw zero deer, but I expected more tracks.

Good luck you guys …

BTW another buddies camera say the bigger bucks are moving between 10 pm and 4 am. :(

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Perry, OK.

Saw two groups of turkeys on Friday afternoon. Group 1 (about 12-14) was on the county road running in front of me for about 75 yards till I sped up and they flew 150 yards into a wheat field. Group 2 (5) was 125 yards away and across a creek after we set up. Definitely two different groups. Oh yeah, three coyotes 75 yards away.

Sunday evening at 5:45 had 3 does (2 mature, 1 yearling) and 8 turkeys come out onto wheat about 125 yards away. The deer were working my way just slightly before the light rain began to fall ... maybe it was already raining ... I was down wind and thought it was going to be a good evening. They I hear something behind me a couple times, a mechanical sound of some sort, which got the does attention. One of the 3 stayed at alert for about 10 minutes, then they left in a hurry. White flag and all. My blind may have been silhouetted by the sky and gave me away. About the same time my buddy saw two does in the woods at 40 yards.

I know some people saw zero deer, but I expected more tracks.

Good luck you guys …

BTW another buddies camera say the bigger bucks are moving between 10 pm and 4 am. :(

the biggest buck on my trail cam pics are coming by right at dark.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
yup it's fun when deer go nocturnal...

hunting in the moonlight Pawhuska, OK... saw a pack of wolfs working.
before you go ya... sure... keep in mind this is indian lands that's been untouched since before statehood.

jmiller45

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
that puts you right on the river.should be some nice deer there.i'm 4 north and two east of town.
to the guy in leedey,wow,nice deer.i used to hunt ducks and geese around there before i began deer hunting.saw some really big deer out there.

Na, I'm not on the river. You have to go through town until you get to the blacktop highway that runs east and west by the grain mill. Then you go back west about 5 miles and then go south a mile. We have a few different sections of land we can hunt there. There is a lot of people that duck hunt out there by a pond on one of the places.

SoonerENGR

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got off two shots this weekend and came home empty handed. The first one was Friday evening. I decided to get a bow hunt in. A small buck came in around 6PM, I thought he was about 30 yrds and it turns out he was closer to 40. Went right under him. Time to invest in a Range finder.

The next was Sunday morning. I was walking a clay road we have that overlooks a ridge, I came up on a field with 3 bucks on it. I got as close as possible (around 100 yards), got on 1 knee and took a shot at the biggest one. It felt good. When the smoke cleared, all three still had there head down eating. CRAZY. They eventually walked down the ridge. I went back to camp in disbelief that just happened. I put a plate on a tree at 50 yards, shot and missed the whole tree. Turns out my scope was off over a foot to the left. Frustrating.. but lesson learned.

Latest posts

Top Bottom