Hunting bullet.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan1678

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I reload using the sierra matchking 168gr for my .308 target load. Now I am looking for a good bullet for hunting. It needs to have good expansion and I prefer a boattail. Any suggestions?

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I reload using the sierra matchking 168gr for my .308 target load. Now I am looking for a good bullet for hunting. It needs to have good expansion and I prefer a boattail. Any suggestions?
Hunting what? If it's small deer like we have in this state, I say stick with the Matchkings. I killed 3 deer with them, other than 1 that did not exit I have no complaints. The one that didn't exit exploded and made mush of the big does insides. She went 50-60 yards and fell. First buck I hit with one fell after taking 5-6 steps. Nasty exit wound on that one. I use Nosler BT's now, I like them because if I was to go Elk hunting I could get Accubonds and probably not change anything.

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use Sierra 150's and haven't tried their 165's, but I'm sure they are good. I killed quite a few deer in the 70's using Hornady 165's in a 742 .30-06 and performance was always excellent. I tried a box of Speer 165 grain round nose bullets - I didn't realize the jacket is heavier on the roundnose. They gave very poor expansion on SE Oklahoma whitetails.

Good Luck!

Cedar Creek

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like the current bullet you are using will work .
I have also used the 165 game kings That Oklahomabassin speaks of.. he I think is talking about the 165 game king HPBT not the soft nose.

It is a good bullet and I have shot a few deer with it and it will shed apart, as will the 168A max which is another bullet I like for deer killing.

I do not need an exit wound but I do need a dead animal.. There are 2 bullets I have used that do not do well . one is a FMJ HP and the other was a sierra palma 155gr with the .504 BC.
Those penciled through the deer.. the palma was moving at a high speed and flopped the 2 deer and 1 hog on the ground hard when hit the deer would kick and spin and then get back up and run 80 yards and then fall again.

I quit using that very accurate bullet and went back to the 165Game King HPBT,, Less drop with the Amax 168 and same performance so far on killing.
Sounds like Mitch tested your bullet for you, and it did well for him.

Yes I know the A max is not for hunting either, don't tell that to the dead deer in my freezer

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OHHH I was wrong!!!!! ,, I never could get that one to group as well as the 165 HP , I chalked it up to the soft point having a smaller bearing surface.
Or maybe I just never found the accuracy node for it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom