Hunting land/lease size discussion...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As I have mentioned in another post I am fairly insterested in land and hunting leases. So I pose this question for more of a discussion and to let people / hunters opine as I enjoy hearing comments on the subject.

Question: How much land/lease/acreage do you feel is necessary to make a good productive hunting land or to at lease be able to manage the land and game to make it a successful venture. I'm not talking having unlimited cash to go and buy 2000 acres either and I'm also not talking about sitting on a 3 acre plot and shooting a 170 class deer. What quantity of acreage would be the most beneficial for the "average" person to afford and still have multiple stand sites, 3-5 feeders and maybe several food plots and still take some nice game? Is it 20, 40, 80, 120 360 or a full section? Don't know if there is a "right" answer but what is your opinion? Just trying to make some conversation about chit that interests me and get insight from others.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i only have 80, but it is heavly wooded and i hunt it by myself. i took two muzzleloader. had chances with the bow but didn't connect(recurve). i have a few feeders and stands up and dont pressure the place hard. i usually hunt a couple days and then stay off it for awhile

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It all depends on the location. You may be able to effectively manage 100 acres in a remote area, while 1500 in a highly pressured area may not be enough. Those numbers are just to illustrate my point.

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have 160 acres in Hughes Co. SE OK. It has all kinds of terrain. Mostly thick wooded area with 5 ponds. It's more than enough for
me. I usually bring 1 or 2 hunting buddies with me, and it gives us more than enough room to harvest. I can't say what we paid for it because my family has owned it for 50+ years.

Latest posts

Top Bottom