Hunting Lease

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've kind of ran into that situation once.
I hunted a place of mine that is 80 acres, and drove south to another place where I had permission. Passed a Jeep Cherokee with several people in it on the way.
When getting to our spot, I heard gunshots back to the North, so we got back in, and went down there. 4 people and a dog were walking out of my field with a Pheasant in hand. When I confronted them with a question about did they know who's land they were on, they said, oh yeah, we have this leased.
Asked who they leased it from and got some guy from another town. Long story short, contacted GW's and Sherriff's office to get things in order.
Come to find out some guy in that other town was looking on plat maps, finding out of town/state land owners, and leasing the properties out without permission from the landowners. My property wasn't the only place he was doing this to. Other than giving a report, I never got a summons or anything, but heard through the GW the guy got a pretty hefty fine.
Don't know if this is your situation, but its a possibility.

RT66

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've kind of ran into that situation once.
I hunted a place of mine that is 80 acres, and drove south to another place where I had permission. Passed a Jeep Cherokee with several people in it on the way.
When getting to our spot, I heard gunshots back to the North, so we got back in, and went down there. 4 people and a dog were walking out of my field with a Pheasant in hand. When I confronted them with a question about did they know who's land they were on, they said, oh yeah, we have this leased.
Asked who they leased it from and got some guy from another town. Long story short, contacted GW's and Sherriff's office to get things in order.
Come to find out some guy in that other town was looking on plat maps, finding out of town/state land owners, and leasing the properties out without permission from the landowners. My property wasn't the only place he was doing this to. Other than giving a report, I never got a summons or anything, but heard through the GW the guy got a pretty hefty fine.
Don't know if this is your situation, but its a possibility.
Thanks for your response...the oilfield signs all relate to the leasing persons last name...it doesn't add up.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for your response...the oilfield signs all relate to the leasing persons last name...it doesn't add up.

I'm kind of confused here. The people that hold mineral rights(names on signs) are not always the ones that own the property. Don't know if this has some farm ground or not, but if it does and the owner doesn't have it in the contract to retain hunting/fishing rights the farmer leasing the land has the rights to allow access or not.
Typically the signs you see around the leases are from oil field folks that have leased the minerals.

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

Had a buddy one time he was out hunting a place that he had been leasing for six years. As he was getting ready at his truck to go hunting someone pulled up and ask what he was doing. He said going hunting the man said this is my land and I don't know you. Come to find out it was the mans brother that had been leasing it to him all those years. The man told him to go ahead and hunt the rest of season but to get his stuff out when it was over. He made a remark that he would take care of his brother. Me and my buddy laughed thinking we would of liked to seen that conversation. He tried to lease it from the correct brother the next year but the brother had sold the place.

RT66

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had a buddy one time he was out hunting a place that he had been leasing for six years. As he was getting ready at his truck to go hunting someone pulled up and ask what he was doing. He said going hunting the man said this is my land and I don't know you. Come to find out it was the mans brother that had been leasing it to him all those years. The man told him to go ahead and hunt the rest of season but to get his stuff out when it was over. He made a remark that he would take care of his brother. Me and my buddy laughed thinking we would of liked to seen that conversation. He tried to lease it from the correct brother the next year but the brother had sold the place.
Perhaps that's the issue...I hope not as I have paid for 2 years.

RT66

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey RT what ever happen on this deal
I just lost my money, apparently contracts mean nothing. My attorney friend says I would win the case but probably not ever collect payment...a lien on the sale of the property would be the only option....so, be very careful if you lease property...I will let you know if any good news transpires...thanks for asking.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just lost my money, apparently contracts mean nothing. My attorney friend says I would win the case but probably not ever collect payment...a lien on the sale of the property would be the only option....so, be very careful if you lease property...I will let you know if any good news transpires...thanks for asking.

I'd pay to put a lien on the property even if it cost me money. That person needs some ass whuppin.

RT66

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd pay to put a lien on the property even if it cost me money. That person needs some ass whuppin.
Yes sir, we are also checking into the legality of trying to lease out a trust that he possibly doesn't control and have suggested criminal charges could follow as well...I'm speaking a foreign language but my attorney friend is doing his best. I hate having to do this but folks like this need to be stopped.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes sir, we are also checking into the legality of trying to lease out a trust that he possibly doesn't control and have suggested criminal charges could follow as well...I'm speaking a foreign language but my attorney friend is doing his best. I hate having to do this but folks like this need to be stopped.

I've posted this before. I had a person lease out my land because he thought I was an absentee owner. He paid a big fine, but no jail time. I wanted jail, but it didn't happen. He probably made a net profit as he was leasing out thousands of acres he didn't own, nor have permission to lease.

Latest posts

Top Bottom