hunting one deer.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I saw a great 8 point on Sunday evening in a cut milo field 1/4 mile away. Got down from the stand just before dark and tried to get closer for a shot, and when finally getting there, it was past shooting time.
Went back to a stand I had on that fence row on Monday morning and had him come out to the east at 300+ yds. He had a doe, and never got close enough for a shot before going across the road.
Monday evening, about 15 minutes before dark, he came trotting from the north at 200+ yds. I had a small opening in some overhanging limbs and waited until he cleared them and pulled the trigger.......attempted to pull the trigger.....safety still on, and he trotted away safely. I was really Po'd with myself.

Bundled up this morning, and got in the stand. Just about 0630 the big 8 point I've been hunting on the DMAP property came out with a doe and milled around the cut milo field.
I can see now how they can be so hard to kill.
The doe would feed, and wander. The buck would be bedded down in the milo with only his head sticking out. they weren't 100 yds from a road. He would let her get about 50 feet away, and stand up, move closer and flop right back down. Somebody driving by would only focus on the doe and never think to look at the buck bedded down.
Interesting lesson.
the tree I was in was shaking in the wind, and the buck was at 200 yds. Not a hard shot, but with the wind, and the fact they kept working my way, I held off shooting him. When they got to 150 yds, I had the cross hairs on him but only had a frontal shot. All of a sudden he snapped his head to the north, got a whiff of something, and bolted. I was po'd, but later this afternoon, put a pop up blind a couple hundred yards east, and waited for him to show up again. He showed up, but shooting time expired, and just watched him walk the field, cross the road, and disappear.
I'll be there in the morning waiting on him. ;D

Anybody focused on one deer?

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am not. Just looking for a good one since I only have one buck tag left. There is a big 8 pt hanging around on my brother's place at PC that is sure getting a lot of attention. We have only had kids hunting our tower blind over there so far and he has gotten within 300 yrds but too far for the kids. There is a grassy draw surrounded by wheat to the north of us and several guys surrounded it Sat but didn't get him. He could have been killed by now though. Our place is pretty open country if you can get some elevation to see out through the weeds and we could see him while the other hunters were looking for him but I guess he was out of their view on the ground. Good luck on getting him.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess the main lesson I learned is how the buck kept himself concealed while keeping the doe tended.
Now while glassing, I not only look for a deer body, but a rack only, coming from the field.

tslabaugh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have got some pics on my camera of a nice 8 that I'd love to get, so I skipped 7 point Monday night. He came charging in hard to a grunt call...I let him walk hoping that I would see my buck later. I was dead set on waiting for this 8 point, but after spending sun up to sun down in the stand today I done some thinking!

I know its fairly early in the rifle season, but I think I may take a decent buck when in range as I would prefer not to leave empty handed. They all are edible! I just hope I don't shoot a smaller one then see the big guy walk out!

stroker-c10

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good luck with him. I have a nice looking ten that I caught on trail cam that I have been trying to get. Passed up an 8 w/ a little kicker off his g2 today hoping that I end up catching the one I really want.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I probably screwed up this am.
the wind was from the south, but went to the stand anyway. Bad mistake. At 0800 he came out 400 yds away, got down wind and bolted...
Left at 0930 and got into a stand in the timber. Nothing moving so got out at 1300 and went back to the milo field.
Just like clockwork, the buck went east at 1740 hrs.
600 yds away,
There is a waterway in grass, I'll move to in the morning.
Crap...thats thanksgiving day, so will have to do this Friday.

Latest posts

Top Bottom