hunting one deer.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulls eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hunted a huge 6 for 3 years. Had thousands of pics of him and would watch him eat corn from my back porch. Once he shed velvet he was a different animal. I hunted him bow only since he was living near houses. I NEVER even glimpsed him from a treestand. Some dude jumped him up about a mile away and killed him with a shot gun. Bout broke my heart.

$$$$$

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dennis, I am also basically hunting one deer, maybe two. The main buck I'm hunting, I haven't seen as much as you have seen your's. He's a monster 8 river bottom buck and although I'm probably not too good at scoring bucks through the scope and binoculars, I can tell that he's definitely bigger than the 140" 10pt I shot last year. I've only seen him twice, once on Nov. 11th and once on Nov. 20th. He was coming from and going to the same place both times I saw him.

The first time it was bow season and he was about 200 yards away fighting and breeding from about 4:15 to 5:45out in the middle of a cut bean field. On the 20th I could've taken him but he was toying with me just barely on the wrong side of my property line. He finally did come over to my side, but it was just too dark to take an ethical shot. He was all I thought about for a couple days after that happened. I'm pretty sure he's made it through rifle season so far, because I know most the hunters around my spot and nobody's mentioned getting anything like him. Wish me luck, I'll be devoting quite a bit of time to him for the next few weeks.

Survivor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is only a matter of time before you tag that 8 pointer Dennis. I'm not after any one deer. I'm after ANY deer (with a pistol that is). Never have taken one with a pistol and have always wanted to so that is my challenge this year. Even if I use my 14" scoped .44 Mag. Contender, I'm limiting my shot to 50 yards regardless of the pistol. This could be the year for me to do it!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It is only a matter of time before you tag that 8 pointer Dennis. I'm not after any one deer. I'm after ANY deer (with a pistol that is). Never have taken one with a pistol and have always wanted to so that is my challenge this year. Even if I use my 14" scoped .44 Mag. Contender, I'm limiting my shot to 50 yards regardless of the pistol. This could be the year for me to do it!

Taken a couple with the pistol. Good luck! Its just as difficult as archery.

I think I'm screwed on this buck. Three days in a row, he took the same path out of the milo from his bedding area in the evening. I didn't hunt thanksgiving day, but went to a stand where I could see the field this am, and he walked withing 30 yds of both of my stands on that fence row at 0910.

Another mistake.
Basically layed in the grass waterway, 50' from the road, for three hours this evening, and saw nothing where he normally crosses.
Got up and scanned the wheat field across the road, that I don't have permission to hunt, and he was looking at me.........Frustrating...

Istandalone

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Taken a couple with the pistol. Good luck! Its just as difficult as archery.

I think I'm screwed on this buck. Three days in a row, he took the same path out of the milo from his bedding area in the evening. I didn't hunt thanksgiving day, but went to a stand where I could see the field this am, and he walked withing 30 yds of both of my stands on that fence row at 0910.

Another mistake.
Basically layed in the grass waterway, 50' from the road, for three hours this evening, and saw nothing where he normally crosses.
Got up and scanned the wheat field across the road, that I don't have permission to hunt, and he was looking at me.........Frustrating...

Isn't that the joy of hunting? Matching wits, learning behavior, becoming a better hunter. Good luck.

jmiller45

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You might as well give up Dennis, I'll be more than happy to take your role in this cat and mouse chase. Now if you could just walk me to the stand that you think he will be at next...!!!! I promise we'll take some proper photos!

Survivor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Isn't that the joy of hunting? Matching wits, learning behavior, becoming a better hunter. Good luck.

Very true!!

Dennis as you know the odds may be in the buck's favor but with all your experience, knowledge, skills and determination, I'll put my money on you. Good luck and as the old saying goes." Luck favors the prepared" and you my friend are definitely prepared.

Latest posts

Top Bottom