Hunting Rifles - Need a new one

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, you probably know my choice for mid size big game already. I call the .243, or .243 WSSM depending on the platform a little light for elk sized game or bigger because of the kinetic energy required of larger calibers to smash through heavy bone, retain energy, and remain partially intact enough to still deliver a lethal shot, although one can look on the internet and see some folks that use that round exclusively for elk.

(that being said, I'm going to disagree with myself somewhat)
I'm torn on the line that is drawn by most gun writers that 7mm and above for elk size and bigger, etc. Jim Carmichael killed dozens of elk with a 130 grain in .270 with bullet technology from the 50's and 60's at long range. Why not a 100 grain .243WSSM that runs 400 fps faster?

Now we have bullet manufacturers producing solid copper bullets that will not only violently expand, but will retain over 90% of their weight when recovered from game. So are faster/smaller bullets that are constructed for game and not target, be just as suitable for big game as the larger calibers of old bullet technology? They still have to retain enough energy to smash through heavy bone is the requirement.

There are so many good calibers for elk sized game, as well as calibers for white tail, that is is impossible to name the best.
99% of the lethality of a caliber relies on the shooter and their ability to hit what they are shooting at. That is the bottom line, and you know that.
I see a lot of guys using 243 for elk too, but not for longer ranges

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for all the contributions. I am going to get my hands on a .270 and a 30-06 on Monday and do some shooting. I like the idea of the .243 WSSM, I just know I would have to reload for it, no issues with that at all. Getting the .308 reworked might make sense as well if the shooting on monday doesn't give me what I want. Appreciate all the help!!!
Ok, here is some personal experience to consider. I own both calibers in quality rifles, and reload for both.
Why have you never seen the .270 in any national competition?
Why was the 30-06 the King of competition in the 1000 yard Camp Perry matches?
The 06 of course was popular as the round coming out of WWII/Korea, and rifles were built around it. Since eclipsed by other rounds.
The .270 seems to be not as accurate for whatever reason. There are calibers that have sweet spots. 52 grain in .22-250, 150 grain in .308, and 168 grain in 30-06 for some of the classic calibers.
I just can't make the .270 shoot tight target quality groups no matter the load. The 06, is capable of tiny groups at 100 yds if the shooter is capable of doing it.
The .270 though has been plenty accurate enough for 300 yd plus kills on animals. Just not target quality.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I see a lot of guys using 243 for elk too, but not for longer ranges

My elk this January was a 440 yards. This is why I'm opting for the heavier bullets. Handloaded Barnes 165 grain in 30-06 using a Browning Stainless Stalker rifle to be exact. I recovered one bullet a couple of years ago on a double lung on the off side under the skin. It was a picture perfect example of Barnes perfection. Still have the bullet.
My buddy next to me fired 6 rounds from a Savage .338 Lapua with a Schmidt/Bender $4000 scope and missed 6 times. Money does not produce a kill as he thought it would. Shooting in the mountains at altitude is not like Oklahoma shooting.

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
@dennishoddy - thanks for the run down.
I think my dilemma is that I have always shot 30-30, .308 and 45-70 for hunting here in Southwest Oklahoma, needing nothing else as pigs, yotes and deer fall easily to those rounds, well actually the 45-70 is pretty nasty on yotes at 25yds... Just looking at getting into the Elk game hopefully. Maybe a trip to Northern Arizona this year as well. In all honesty I want a new gun that's not a black rifle and will be of quality to pass on to one of the boys.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My elk this January was a 440 yards. This is why I'm opting for the heavier bullets. Handloaded Barnes 165 grain in 30-06 using a Browning Stainless Stalker rifle to be exact. I recovered one bullet a couple of years ago on a double lung on the off side under the skin. It was a picture perfect example of Barnes perfection. Still have the bullet.
My buddy next to me fired 6 rounds from a Savage .338 Lapua with a Schmidt/Bender $4000 scope and missed 6 times. Money does not produce a kill as he thought it would. Shooting in the mountains at altitude is not like Oklahoma shooting.
Where was that at?

I have no problems with deer and 243. My first buck was a 250 yard shot with a 243. He was a biggun too, just shy of 220lb.

For elk though. I wont do it.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for all the contributions. I am going to get my hands on a .270 and a 30-06 on Monday and do some shooting. I like the idea of the .243 WSSM, I just know I would have to reload for it, no issues with that at all. Getting the .308 reworked might make sense as well if the shooting on monday doesn't give me what I want. Appreciate all the help!!!

Boring...........come on you can do better! lol .257WBY, .243 WSSM like already mentioned. This thread will be a total let down if you bring home a .270 or a 30-06 :)

MisterGrubbs

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Buy my vortex. Just sayin :)

If I was buying a new rifle and didn't want to get into barrels, I'd go hunt down a tikka t3 or t3x. Phenomenal little rifles.

As for rifle caliber, I still love my 300wm. Great round. Surely wouldn't go wrong with a 7RUM

My newest build that needs to be assembled us, however, a 6.5 creedmoor

Latest posts

Top Bottom