Hunting Rifles - Need a new one

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bowhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Someone is ornery ha

308 has killed many, many animals. It's just fine for deer.

You do realize you're supposed to aim behind the front shoulder, not the rear legs, right?

Try shooting past 200 yards then talk. I know a .22 can kill a deer but I'll never depend on a .308 again! Just my personal (hated) experience but to each his own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MisterGrubbs

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Try shooting past 200 yards then talk. I know a .22 can kill a deer but I'll never depend on a .308 again! Just my personal (hated) experience but to each his own.

In all fairness(if I read right) you were shooting match ammo. It's not designed for max damage.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Edit: the only .308 bullets that I could get to group were federal gold medal and Hornady matchZ not a hunting bullet bet shot under 1 inch, everything else was 3 inch plus! Choose your poison or get a 30-06!

There are so many different things that can make the same gun/caliber a wall hanger vs a tack shooter that it would take too much bandwidth to discuss than this forum has.

The 150 grain in .308, depending on the bullet has been called the most inherently accurate combination in the world in some circles.
The 168 grain in 30-06 the same.
Other members on this forum can contribute more information than I can as they are dedicated to the long range hobby.
Stocks, powders, primers, brass and bullets in the combination with your personal rifle will determine your accuracy.
You can't shoot a 67 grain bullet from a ,223 rifle with a 1-10 twist and expect anything other than a 12" group at 100 yards.
Same gun shooting a 55 grain bullet has the potential to be a tack driver.
You have to tune the load to the gun, and then tune the gun to be accurate at long range. It's not a simple solution. Factory powders change by lot number. If you reload, you find the sweet spot with that lot number and keep your loads. The next lot of power, may or may not be exactly the same.
If you're a hunter, that difference may not matter one bit, but if you're looking for that one hole on paper group, it matters a lot.

Bowhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In all fairness(if I read right) you were shooting match ammo. It's not designed for max damage.

That is correct. I was trying to get into long rangevshooting at the time and went the cheap route of a factory rifle with a few upgrades instead of a custom build. It only shot good with match grade ammo. Lesson learned. Never again will I use the .308!

Bowhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are so many different things that can make the same gun/caliber a wall hanger vs a tack shooter that it would take too much bandwidth to discuss than this forum has.

The 150 grain in .308, depending on the bullet has been called the most inherently accurate combination in the world in some circles.
The 168 grain in 30-06 the same.
Other members on this forum can contribute more information than I can as they are dedicated to the long range hobby.
Stocks, powders, primers, brass and bullets in the combination with your personal rifle will determine your accuracy.
You can't shoot a 67 grain bullet from a ,223 rifle with a 1-10 twist and expect anything other than a 12" group at 100 yards.
Same gun shooting a 55 grain bullet has the potential to be a tack driver.
You have to tune the load to the gun, and then tune the gun to be accurate at long range. It's not a simple solution. Factory powders change by lot number. If you reload, you find the sweet spot with that lot number and keep your loads. The next lot of power, may or may not be exactly the same.
If you're a hunter, that difference may not matter one bit, but if you're looking for that one hole on paper group, it matters a lot.

Ive actually experienced the opposite Dennis. My .308 shot lights out with168 gr but couldn't down a mosquito. My 30-06 and 300 wsm shoot lights out with 150 grain and drop them on the spot. Can you guys tell I lost 2 studs to the .308 yet?!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ive actually experienced the opposite Dennis. My .308 shot lights out with168 gr but couldn't down a mosquito. My 30-06 and 300 wsm shoot lights out with 150 grain and drop them on the spot. Can you guys tell I lost 2 studs to the .308 yet?!

You may have a gun issue then. Don't knock the .308 because of one rifle.
Address the issue of that rifle. Is it the barrel? the twist, Is it a bad chamber, is it not floated correctly?
The new barrels are far superior to the old. New CNC machining makes them almost 100% the same out of the factory, but you can't dismiss that one that got left out and make it to your safe.

Bowhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You may have a gun issue then. Don't knock the .308 because of one rifle.
Address the issue of that rifle. Is it the barrel? Is it a bad chamber, is it not floated correctly?
The new barrels are far superior to the old. New CNC machining makes them almost 100% the same out of the factory, but you can't dismiss that one that got left out and make it to your safe.

It was there custom rifle that was supposed to be sub moa from from factory.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It was there custom rifle that was supposed to be sub moa from from factory.

Ahh, now we have the rest of the story.
Did they test fire it with a target?
Reason I'm asking is that in 2008, I ordered a custom SS barrel to build a .243 WSSM, as it was the hot ticket of the day.
Ordered a 1-10 twist to shoot 55 grain at over 4000fps, and per the manufacturer's required accuracy recommendations, I had to shoot three rounds, Clean using a Browning bore cleaner, Shoot three more, repeat, and after 200 rounds, the barrel would be accurate. I" at 100 yds guaranteed.
At 200 rounds it still shot minute of paper plate.
Hundreds of dollars later.
I don't know why I didn't stop after 20 and call BS.
I checked the twist by using a mark on a cleaning rod and pushing it into the bore, finding out I had a 1-8 twist.
Switched to 100 grain, and it became a tack driver with clover leaf holes.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like you were shooting match ammo? Do you also shoot deer with field points when you bow hunt? About the same thing. It wasn't the caliber, .308 and .30-06 are damn near identical in medium weight bullets.

O/P if you have a .308 and are looking for something different a .30-06 ain't it. Yes heavier and louder but that's about it. Tons of neat stuff to pick, a WSM caliber, RUM, .338WM, Weatherby, etc. you want different, go different.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom