HVAC problem (undersized unit)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've stayed out of this thread due to a poster. I'll come out pro garatis. It will have to be at my convenience because I have a business to run and busy right now.

I'll take superheat, subcool, wet bulb, delta t's, attic insulation and ventilation...: Whatever y'all want.

I've seen some marginal sized units struggle to keep up with the Extra latent load this year. That extra 1/5 ton would help, but why is your bill $350?

Wish the company that did my new installation last year did those tests. Way to step up and help.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've stayed out of this thread due to a poster. I'll come out pro garatis. It will have to be at my convenience because I have a business to run and busy right now.

I'll take superheat, subcool, wet bulb, delta t's, attic insulation and ventilation...: Whatever y'all want.

I've seen some marginal sized units struggle to keep up with the Extra latent load this year. That extra 1/5 ton would help, but why is your bill $350?

My money is on inadequate ceiling insulation. Let us know.

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just a FYI but if you do need attic insulation OG&E does offer a rebate (up to a maximum of $500) if you have more insulation put into your attic. The only caveat is the work has to be done by a company, you cant buy the materials and do it yourself.

Viper16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just a FYI but if you do need attic insulation OG&E does offer a rebate (up to a maximum of $500) if you have more insulation put into your attic. The only caveat is the work has to be done by a company, you cant buy the materials and do it yourself.

Well crap...it can be almost done for around 1000.00-2000.00 yourself depending on the quantity of bags and required additional inches. I bet you pay double that with a contractor. But for those who are not DIY and plan on sticking around there home, that 3000-5000.00 could pay for itself within 7-10 years just depending on how bad the current situation is.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well crap...it can be almost done for around 1000.00-2000.00 yourself depending on the quantity of bags and required additional inches. I bet you pay double that with a contractor. But for those who are not DIY and plan on sticking around there home, that 3000-5000.00 could pay for itself within 7-10 years just depending on how bad the current situation is.

We didn't do the whole house, just the back part with 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. I looked into the free machine and buying the cellulose from lowes. The contractor was so close in price that we went with the contractor. Bonus was they blew it in along with a spray containing borax, a bug killer and binder that kept it from settling longer.
Always good to get quotes from both sources.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We didn't do the whole house, just the back part with 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. I looked into the free machine and buying the cellulose from lowes. The contractor was so close in price that we went with the contractor. Bonus was they blew it in along with a spray containing borax, a bug killer and binder that kept it from settling longer.
Always good to get quotes from both sources.

The bagged stuff you buy at Lowes is already borate treated.

Latest posts

Top Bottom