AC blues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shotty

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My old poor AC unit is on its last legs. It just barely is keeping the house cool. I called a friend who owns a heat and air out today to check it out. He said that it is a dinosaur, that my unit was made in 1985. He couldn't believe that it was still running at all. He told me that I had gotten all the goodie out of that machine. So it's time to replace, I had no idea that a central heat and air unit was so expensive.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My old poor AC unit is on its last legs. It just barely is keeping the house cool. I called a friend who owns a heat and air out today to check it out. He said that it is a dinosaur, that my unit was made in 1985. He couldn't believe that it was still running at all. He told me that I had gotten all the goodie out of that machine. So it's time to replace, I had no idea that a central heat and air unit was so expensive.
They can sure be expensive, but maybe the more efficient model your getting will reduce the utility bill and help compensate for the higher costs.

MattB

Marksman
Reaction score
We used Oklahoma Heat & Air to replace ours a few years ago. Had a number of companies come out, but was most comfortable with them. They did good work and were the most affordable we found.

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One guy quoted replacing my 1980's unit at $13,000 installed. Another was around 12.
I refuse to pay that much so I bought a unit from hvacdirect.com and installed it myself. This was about 6 months ago. Those old units were workhorses.

If you do that be careful with getting the old one out. They were heavy in the 80s. The newer ones are much smaller and lighter.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Your not kidding. I just spent over 5K on AC work on my mother's house this past week. We had a new 3 ton condensing unit put in, along with some re-wiring and other small things. Her previous unit was 24 years old.

And that 5K is AFTER I spent $1206.06 (ask me how I remember the exact amount, lol) last weekend on 3 portable floor AC/dehumidifier units to try and get her living room and bedroom cooled down while insurance jerked them around (and eventually did nothing), and my mother was sweating her rear end off while having breathing problems. I'm still a little peeved they didn't call me sooner. I only found out about it on a Sunday morning. By Sunday night their living room and bedrooms were 70 degrees, and by Thursday of last week they had a new AC.

Sorry, I went on a rant. This topic is still real sensitive for me, haha! I hope you get yours sorted out.

Last edited:

madokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i worked for 2 brothers that had a AC and heat business,, they kept records of installs and call backs over 7 years so they could find out the most reliable unit,, it was Lenox, i helped install plenty,and i would say best built,as far as assembly and ease of install, we never had a problem w install or working after install,w Lenox..great units.and as far as efficiency,,you can get them to very high efficiency ,14.0, 18.0 ,22.0,,just how much do u want to pay..the higher efficient units have larger condensers and insulated lines and such..install these unit where the sun never shines on them too.even if u have to relocate from original spot, put them on north or east side of house..i have scrapped out old ac units ,,not much difference between old and new,,most of the time its just the compressor that burns up,,but since its old most home owners want completely new..$5K for new is still too much, not much in a new unit,condensor,compressor ,fan w motor,,a few valves, electronic control..sheet metal cover,copper lines,watch a vid on how to scrap one, you will see yourself, not much there f $5K..after all u can get a new 10,000 BTU window,unit for $300..2 of those and 4 5,000 window units should cool most houses @$1,000..

Last edited:

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i had a heat and air guy tell me that my unit was a dino and i needed a whole new untit also. i ordered the fan timer and replaced it myself for less than 100 dollars. sales pitch?

Latest posts

Top Bottom