HXP brass reloading

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With a Garand on order and HXP ammo on hand I am getting set up to reload HXP brass. Couple of questions for you that have done it.

Which primer pocket crimp remover do you like?

Is a small-base resizing die really needed? I see many people recommend them for loading for auto loaders. I have set of RCBS standard dies and plan to full length size (as opposed to neck sizing like I do for my bolt guns).

Already have plenty of powder in the correct burn rate and a jillion (give or take million) 150 grain fmj bullets I got at a garage sale.

HackerF15E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have reloaded give or take 1,000 rounds of HXP brass from numerous different years. I use an old Lyman primer pocket reamer, and 30-year old standard RCBS .30-06 dies. Never had a problem with the brass; on the contrary, I have some brass that was deformed because of a defect in the chamber of a CMP-ordered Garand, and that brass has been resized and shot numerous times without issue. I'm on my 7th load of some of the cases, and I have yet to pitch any due to neck splits or other defects.

I usually use Varget and 168SGKs or 150 SMKs, and it works like a champ in my Garands.

OKC_Jim

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Which primer pocket crimp remover do you like?

The crimp on HXP is extremely minor. It is basically 3 tiny tabs.

This http://leeprecision.com/chamfer-tool.html will work fine to remove them and it is really cheap.

Is a small-base resizing die really needed? I see many people recommend them for loading for auto loaders. I have set of RCBS standard dies and plan to full length size (as opposed to neck sizing like I do for my bolt guns).

I use the RCBS FL dies.

Already have plenty of powder in the correct burn rate and a jillion (give or take million) 150 grain fmj bullets I got at a garage sale.

Opinions vary but I like IMR 4895 and IMR 4064. Varget is on the list to try.

Hope that helps,

Jim

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom