hydraulic fracturing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been used for a long time in the industry. I think all the attention directed toward it by the Yankees is red herring.

The Yanks? If you are referring to the study that was conducted in NY, it was only done after they found out about another study done in the West (Colorado). So ease up there, Johnny Reb.

There are issues with Fracking. Contrary to what those in the O&NG industry are telling you, there is contamination. However, I should shut my big mouth unless I want to lose some pretty big leases. ;)

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fracking is needed and it's a great tool!

That said, I strictly drink bottled water. Have you tasted the tap water in rural OK?? Nasty. You're worth it, buy some clean water to drink.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Haliburton fracs with crushed pecan shells, sand, or glass beads.

When I fractured for Haliburton, we did straight water fracs, some diesel and Jet fuel "they call it a mighty oil" on oil wells, and Bauxite proppants on most gas well. Now and then we would use plain sand. I really enjoyed fracturing. Nothing like cranking up 20 or 30,000 horse power and sending it down hole. I have never heard of it getting into someone's water well. Most of it is alot deaper then the water table. I do know that you can frac a well and when you bring it on line it will kill some prodution from wells that are near and perforated in the same payzone. Not very often, but I have seen it happen.

SoonerBorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's not bad if done correctly but that's the problem, sometimes it's not. I would never allow it on land I was actually living on. Just me and I've worked in the industry for about five years .

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I fractured for Haliburton, we did straight water fracs, some diesel and Jet fuel "they call it a mighty oil" on oil wells, and Bauxite proppants on most gas well. Now and then we would use plain sand. I really enjoyed fracturing. Nothing like cranking up 20 or 30,000 horse power and sending it down hole. I have never heard of it getting into someone's water well. Most of it is alot deaper then the water table. I do know that you can frac a well and when you bring it on line it will kill some prodution from wells that are near and perforated in the same payzone. Not very often, but I have seen it happen.
Most of what they are looking into now is cross layer permeation due to natural geology. My guess is a lot of the 2-BE finds in water tables is from improper handling on the surface and not the actual frack process.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When did this change, cause they were using some stuff that was quite carcinogenic...

Been a lot of research lately, specifically looking at 2-BE in water tables near Haliburton drill sites...

Just sayin...

I worked for Mertz inc for awhile as a CNC tech. We built the PLC controlled hoppers that supplied the Frac material to be mixed into a slurry and pumped down hole.

I was on site as a programmer during check-out when crushed pecan shells, sand or glass beads were being used.
With my eyes.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I worked for Mertz inc for awhile as a CNC tech. We built the PLC controlled hoppers that supplied the Frac material to be mixed into a slurry and pumped down hole.

I was on site as a programmer during check-out when crushed pecan shells, sand or glass beads were being used.
With my eyes.

Not calling you a liar,... but I do know Haliburton uses things other than what you listed...

Haliburton said:
Basic elements – sand, water and pressure – are used to create fractures. In fact, sand and water make up more than 99 percent of the fracturing fluids used today. While the majority of fracturing fluids are of sand and water, the remaining portion involves complex chemistry, much of which has been created through Halliburton's research and development efforts, and which is managed in accordance with proper industry and governmental procedures.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most of what they are looking into now is cross layer permeation due to natural geology. My guess is a lot of the 2-BE finds in water tables is from improper handling on the surface and not the actual frack process.

There is alot that can go wrong. You get some of these companies that try to cut corners and sometimes it catches up with them. When they frac a well with Bauxite " most oil and gas people just call it sand" you flow it back. To recover alot of what you put in. Sometimes you find that it does not come back. If you get a formation that is not good, I can see how it could go places it is not suppose to. There is really alot that can go wrong. Fracturing with water is not bad. Some of the chemicals that are used can be bad for your health.

Latest posts

Top Bottom