hydraulic fracturing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was on site about 3 years ago when a acid frac went bad for schlumberger down by Madill. It wasnt pretty and I can tell you alot of acid ended up in a near by creek

I went on a well several years ago when I was in well-control. It was in Spearman Tx. They had pumped acid using a straddle packer. It is a tool about 25 feet long that has an inflatable packer on both ends. You pack off both ends so that you can pump into one zone and no others. After they pumped the acid down hole, the packer would not deflate. They could not pull it out of the well. We killed the well 3 times and would time how long it would stay dead before it would kick off again. Once we had a time "about 30 minutes" we broke all of the bolts expect 4 on the bottom of the BOPs. When they killed it the last time, we had to jump in the cellar, brake the last 4 bolts and had a crane pick up the well head and BOP, and then tied another crane to the packer and pulled it out. Then we had to get the well head and BOP bolted back down before it kicked off. It was pretty scary. If it would have kicked off with no well head and BOP, we would have been screwed. All went well.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not calling you a liar,... but I do know Haliburton uses things other than what you listed...

Not sure what your reading but with my eyes they used these products. 1995 to 1999.
Please don't call me a liar........

I did not work for Halliburton and have no allegiance to them.....that is a harsh accusation that is not deserved.

Originally Posted by Haliburton
Basic elements – sand, water and pressure – are used to create fractures. In fact, sand and water make up more than 99 percent of the fracturing fluids used today. While the majority of fracturing fluids are of sand and water, the remaining portion involves complex chemistry, much of which has been created through Halliburton's research and development efforts, and which is managed in accordance with proper industry and governmental procedures.

Your reading between the lines. The "complex chemistry" can certainly be a word play on a natural product........Marketing skills to confuse the "green folks"

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not sure what your reading but with my eyes they used these products. 1995 to 1999.
Please don't call me a liar........

I did not work for Halliburton and have no allegiance to them.....that is a harsh accusation that is not deserved.

Dangit, Dennis, I said I wasnt calling you a liar.

The quote is from one of their press releases (recent).

I wouldnt be suprised if fracking material changes depending on type of shell.

SoonerBorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Aren't there instances of natural gas itself contaminating the water table due to fissures made during the process?

I'm no expert but I hear things.....

[Broken External Image]

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Aren't there instances of natural gas itself contaminating the water table due to fissures made during the process?

I'm no expert but I hear things.....

[Broken External Image]

If the zone isn't properly cemented (there are requirements for isolation by the corporation commision) then gas and frac material can migrate up behind the casing above the perforations. You'd have to have a damn deep water well in oklahoma to get contamination unless casing parted during frac.

GeekShot

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't know of many water wells deeper than 250 ft. Fracs are done 1000's of feet below the water table and only extend a small distance from the well bore target.

Casing or surface issues would be a greater concern and are a part of every drilling operation not just fracking

jbnova

Marksman
Reaction score
I just spent the past year working in Pennsylvania amid all the contaminated water well issues in the Dimock area. The actual fracturing process isnt the culprit in those cases. The geology is a lot different in that area and there are very shallow natural gas pockets that are encountered in the drilling process that seems to find its was into the water table. Fracturing is being singled out mainly because it sounds like an evil process and easier to sell as propaganda. A properly cased hole will not leak into the water table when the formations that are being fracked in the PA area are 4,000 ft and deeper. There is also the issue of supplying the water to frac each well. Most of the horizontal fracs require 100,000 barrels or more of water. Thats a lot of water being pulled from the watershed areas and one them in that region also supplies water for New York City and New Jersey. The people who are against the influx of drilling in that region have figured out that drilling the wells up there does no good if you cant frac and complete them. So the fracturing process has been singled out and receiving their focus.

Latest posts

Top Bottom