Did You Know?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I guess now we know what happened to BadgeBunny. Too bad @THAT Gurl never crossed paths with her...

IMG_0865.jpeg

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are some absolute morons doing home repairs in this state. My old boss told me about a house where the owner had used some kind of flexible hose (I don’t think it was pex, but it was something like that) to run the natural gas lines. That house was a ticking time bomb, quite literally.

That is nothing at all like replacing a water heater, but I’d bet things like that are what would push them to require a licensed plumber do the install, if that’s actually what has happened.

I posted a thread a while back about how an electrical contractor had found where the previous contractor who did our kitchen remodel had piggy-backed our electric cooktop/stove onto the electrical outlet next to the stove instead of running dedicated wiring like he should have. That thing was just an electrical fire waiting to happen. Good thing I'm not Martha Stewart ... Or worse, Julia Child.

I FINALLY got around to using the self cleaning feature on our stove a few nights ago. (What can I say -- I don't cook things in the oven that splatter (at least not without covering it) or spill over (that's what the BIG pan on the bottom rack is for -- I don't wanna crawl in there and have to scrub for a year 🙄).

Imagine MY surprise when the damn thing locked the door and heated up both the burners on the stovetop and the inside of the oven to 9000C ... NOT Fahrenheit, Celsius!! (And stayed that way for FOUR HOURS! 😶😶😶😶) I would have definitely burned the house down.

Insurance would have seen the Fire Marshall's report and denied the claim and I'd be in yet another lawsuit with a ****ing deadbeat. (This guys business failed -- imagine that -- and his wife is the only one working. I think "maybe" he's drawing SS now but still that's only a pittance. They don't have a dime to their names. Just a house with 2 mortgages and a dog I do NOT want.)

That said, I'll still pay a professional for things I know nothing about. I'm a coward when it comes to electric, gas and plumbing. Too many things can go from bad to worse in the blink of an eye.

Last edited:

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have replaced our tank thru the years but last time we had have a plumber do it to get us up to code.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I replaced two in 2021. Never had a problem. FBI didn't come eat my cookies or steal my sandwiches. I think it's one of those "you shouldn't do it" laws, but you can still do it.
But where did you buy the tanks? There were plenty of electric water heaters at Lowes but no natural gas. Stupid laws that hurt people financially are pushed by lobbyists and the state gov't passes a law. They are similar to the federal gov't on a smaller scale-not so much money available.
I even thought that if I needed a water heater that I'd go to anearby state and buy one and bring it back. It would then fit in with Bill Clinton's -"Don't ask, don't tell." I think it must be some sort of a federal regulation. I found that you cannot purchase a gas water heater in Okla or Texas but you can in Arkansas and if I need one, that's where you'll find me!
  • It is legal for you to install a water heater yourself or to use an unlicensed plumber to install it. However, it’s not a good idea. First of all, you will still need to pull a permit and have the installation inspected no matter who does the work.

Last edited:

Frank Pope

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I replaced two in 2021. Never had a problem. FBI didn't come eat my cookies or steal my sandwiches. I think it's one of those "you shouldn't do it" laws, but you can still do it.
Sort of like the OK and federal "Do Not Call" lists. The telemarketers wipe their asses with them and nobody can be troubled to do anything about it, not the AG, not the Insurance Department, not the FCC, nor the BBB. I know, I have tried all of them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom