I am hungry! And these Guys cooking today are killing me!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"no joke, the wife just started us on a 10 day detox diet. No sugars, flour, starchy veggies. we are on day 3 and I have already lost 12lbs but man do some biscuits and gravy sound good."-streak

So what else is there?

all the non starchy veggies you want (salad and salad accessories) and 6 ounces of lean meat per meal. hard boiled eggs for breakfast or some strange smoothies.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes get her a good electric so that she can load it with wood pellets or chips and set it and forget it.

Great advice!

She wanted me to ask you all, is a Glass door better or not? Does the glass just get dirty so you cannot see through it? She said the glass door ones are higher. So what do you all recommend?

The glass door will just get nasty. It will take a few adventures, but once you figure out your cooking times, etc. its simple to make perfect smoked food with an electric smoker without a window.

The fun part of this smoking thing is keeping logs of what works best. If its 100 degrees outside, the cooking time is shorter than when it 32 degrees and snowing.

Since one is cooking low and slow, there is a lot of time between "done perfectly" and "ruined". Lots of time.

Just buy one and join the fun!

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Great advice!

The glass door will just get nasty. It will take a few adventures, but once you figure out your cooking times, etc. its simple to make perfect smoked food with an electric smoker without a window.

The fun part of this smoking thing is keeping logs of what works best. If its 100 degrees outside, the cooking time is shorter than when it 32 degrees and snowing.

Since one is cooking low and slow, there is a lot of time between "done perfectly" and "ruined". Lots of time.

Just buy one and join the fun!

Thanks dennis. We will forgo the glass door, as they are also more expensive.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Keep in mind, the rule of thumb is that if you open the door, you add 20 minutes to the cooking time, so trust your times.

I have a Small cookshack smoker now after getting rid of the huge offset wood smoker. there is a small hole in the top to let the smoke and moisture out, so I put the thermometer into the meat, and run the wire out the hole to the control unit. I know the exact temperature of the meat at all times, so the door never needs opened.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since we are now in the Q&A portion of this thread.....
What's the skinny on propane smokers? As good, better, or worse than the electric models?

Good questions. Thanks dennis on the knowledge about the door and thermometer. Good idea. She has been wanting to do Turkeys for the last two or three years. So we will have to get one big enough for a Turkey.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A by product of natural gas or propane burning is water vapor.

Electric heat is dry.

I've never cooked on one of the propane powered units. I do know the ^^^^^is true. How it affects the final product I can't say.

Latest posts

Top Bottom