I am hungry! And these Guys cooking today are killing me!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whiskeysnoot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just bought my second electric smoker. Heating element gave up the ghost in the first one and couldn't get parts. Used it so much though I got my money's worth. Both of them have been the $200 range electrics. Almost embarassing as to how easy they are. Set temp, set time, prep meat, throw in smoker, add pellets, then step away.

Here's an example to get you started. Just smoked a 3 lb rack of baby back ribs at 225 for 2.5 hours. Awesome.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Keep in mind, the rule of thumb is that if you open the door, you add 20 minutes to the cooking time, so trust your times.

Mr.Glock. windows are mostly for looks. Lol Not function. Dennis was spot on. If you can get a meat thermometer with remote read out, you won't have to open door unless you are brushing sauce on.

Peeking myth debunked? Actual measured scientific data.

Actually there's alot of variables there... dennis like you said with certain cookers it may take quite a while to build the heat back up. But the interesting thing was the lack of change in the temperature of the meat itself in response to some rather long freaking "peeks"! 5 minutes?? God, how long does it take to baste??? I suppose some of you guys are cooking up 100lbs of meat at a time, though...

Interesting data, all the same. Great article.

nich018

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been using this model Brinkman electric smoker for fifteen years.

It has a water pan to add moisture when smoking.

It has two racks, and I have smoked up to a 20 lb. Turkey, and 20 lb. Ham at the same time.

Its no fancy high dollar rig, but it makes some great grub.

I just add some water soaked hickory chips or chunks when I first put the meat in and just wait until time to pull it out. You don't have to worry about it getting to cool or too hot.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0009WG6RA?pc_redir=1400846313&robot_redir=1

Had one of those Brinkman for years and worked great for not a lot of cash.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Finished up the rotisserie pork loin that was brined overnight.
4 hours on low heat, getting basted every 20 minutes or so with a sauce of balsamic vinegar, red wine, zested lemon, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, and a touch of cayenne pepper. Puts an amazing bark on it.
The juices just ran out of it when sliced.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401155108.564441.jpg

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Finished up the rotisserie pork loin that was brined overnight.
4 hours on low heat, getting basted every 20 minutes or so with a sauce of balsamic vinegar, red wine, zested lemon, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, and a touch of cayenne pepper. Puts an amazing bark on it.
The juices just ran out of it when sliced.

View attachment 39271

Oh man, that looks TASTY!!!!!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom