I Am SO READY to Be Gone from Here!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We've just had an incident today here at the Ranch. Gate was open because we had some ladies coming to tour the facilities. While we are at one of the lodges, we get a call from a guy that is down at our entrance. He says that he just chased some guy who ended up going onto our property. He claims the guy is stalking someone, has no drivers license, not registration or insurance on his vehicle. I drove the property twice without seeing the vehicle that was described. So, I went back up to a "back trail" that is about as wide as an ATV. I couldn't see any tracks to start with, but went on up a bit further and found tracks. Went just far enough further to see a car the right color through the trees. So, I backed back down and waited for the Sheriff's department. One sergeant and the undersheriff showed up and went up the trail. Pretty soon, two more deputies arrived on the Ranch.

All in all, we aren't sure that the story that the caller gave is even true. The car is still up there and the driver has gone to ground. He may or may not be back to get his car and leave with it. At any rate, the car is on BLM land, so we can't even call a wrecker to come and have it removed. I'm not even sure a wrecker could get to the car. I think that the best that could be done by the BLM is to call a locksmith to unlock the steering wheel and the ignition to let it be started so they could back it out.

We were impressed with the speed of reaction of the officers and their professionalism. And, I'm even more anxious to get the "hey" out of here.

Side note: I was and will be going around with a .45 on my hip the rest of the day.

Another side note: This even follows another incident where a couple of tweakers came on the property, stole a gate wheel off of our service entrance gate, broke into our neighbor volunteer's SUV and tried to break into their RV. They left in a hurry when met at the door of the RV with shotgun in hand.

And, before that by a few months, someone came on the property and tried to steal a trailer like those that landscaping companies have. You know, the ones with the expanded metal cage on the front. They got hooked up to it, but what they didn't know was that it was loaded with old asphalt roofing shingles. Their vehicle wasn't "horse enough" to get it untracked, and all they did was spin their rear wheels. So, those would-be thieves just unhooked and got the heck out of Dodge.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Best of luck, Terry! Keep your eyes open, your sidearm loaded, and your wits about you. Could be a tweaker, or could be a real bad hombre, but either way, not a real good person to have out on the loose. Circle the wagons and watch your six.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We've just had an incident today here at the Ranch. Gate was open because we had some ladies coming to tour the facilities. While we are at one of the lodges, we get a call from a guy that is down at our entrance. He says that he just chased some guy who ended up going onto our property. He claims the guy is stalking someone, has no drivers license, not registration or insurance on his vehicle. I drove the property twice without seeing the vehicle that was described. So, I went back up to a "back trail" that is about as wide as an ATV. I couldn't see any tracks to start with, but went on up a bit further and found tracks. Went just far enough further to see a car the right color through the trees. So, I backed back down and waited for the Sheriff's department. One sergeant and the undersheriff showed up and went up the trail. Pretty soon, two more deputies arrived on the Ranch.

All in all, we aren't sure that the story that the caller gave is even true. The car is still up there and the driver has gone to ground. He may or may not be back to get his car and leave with it. At any rate, the car is on BLM land, so we can't even call a wrecker to come and have it removed. I'm not even sure a wrecker could get to the car. I think that the best that could be done by the BLM is to call a locksmith to unlock the steering wheel and the ignition to let it be started so they could back it out.

We were impressed with the speed of reaction of the officers and their professionalism. And, I'm even more anxious to get the "hey" out of here.

Side note: I was and will be going around with a .45 on my hip the rest of the day.

Another side note: This even follows another incident where a couple of tweakers came on the property, stole a gate wheel off of our service entrance gate, broke into our neighbor volunteer's SUV and tried to break into their RV. They left in a hurry when met at the door of the RV with shotgun in hand.

And, before that by a few months, someone came on the property and tried to steal a trailer like those that landscaping companies have. You know, the ones with the expanded metal cage on the front. They got hooked up to it, but what they didn't know was that it was loaded with old asphalt roofing shingles. Their vehicle wasn't "horse enough" to get it untracked, and all they did was spin their rear wheels. So, those would-be thieves just unhooked and got the heck out of Dodge.
Where is this ?

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeppers...

...we are just north of Grants Pass, OR and have been here for just over 17 months, serving as Ranch Hosts on a retreat and reunion facility that also hosts a few weddings each year. We are scheduled to leave here on September 25 because our new "employers" in Southern Utah are in pretty desperate need of us coming.

We originally planned on April 1 to be there, but the new "bosses" needed us November 1 because one of their volunteer couples left after 5 years. The other volunteer couple has been cut in half when the husband passed away. Now, it appears that the wife of the second couple has fallen and messed up a knee that had been replaced a while back, so the owners asked if we could come earlier than November 1. We visited with our current bosses and it was OK with them, so we are scheduled to arrive in Kanab, UT by October 1.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We are doing well, even in the land of "legal" marijuana, which is probably the ultimate cause of all the incidents listed above. Tomorrow, I'll go up and take pictures of the access to the trail where the car is located. It is obvious, even if one is in a hurry, that the trail is totally different from the well defined gravel road they took to get up there.

Also, I've been wondering if we will get a call about the car. The Sheriff's deputy said that the car was not reported as stolen, but I suspect that they have contacted the registered owner about this incident. I suspect that someone will want to retrieve the vehicle, and that trail is not one to navigate in reverse, in the dark. It's almost dark here now, so I'm fixing to go down and lock the gate. We sure don't want any more drugged up nutjobs coming in here.

Latest posts

Top Bottom