I Am Thinking Of Cutting Cable

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think that is exactly what I have my antenna feeding in to and then supply three drops. Have a tuner card and TV that are used most of the time as well as a TV that just sits there in a bedroom. Want to get a HD Homerun sometime though. I rarely use the tuner card and would enjoy having Plex just record stuff so I can watch it later if I want to.

Why buy that when you already have what you need, a TV Tuner. All that device has is a small purpose built computer running software that is available for you pc and a built in tv tuner. You can use Kodi to do everything that this device does on your computer that has a tv tuner in it and use plex to fling it to all your devices.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why buy that when you already have what you need, a TV Tuner. All that device has is a small purpose built computer running software that is available for you pc and a built in tv tuner. You can use Kodi to do everything that this device does on your computer that has a tv tuner in it and use plex to fling it to all your devices.

I already have a purpose built computer, the issue is that the tuner does not work in FreeBSD and spinning up a VM for windows takes a lot more power than a dedicated box. I will also likely need multiple tuners at some point if there is something I want to record and the wife wants to watch something while I have the tv tied up as a monitor. A HD homerun is also discounted when you have a PlexPass by about 30 percent. A second tuner to drop into the system I have will cost more than the HD Homerun and there are less hoops to jump through.

https://www.plex.tv/plex-pass/perks/

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom