I made some redneck toolboxes today...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Imgr album of mod

I found some black 50 cal cans at a local surplus store.
I was going to paint everything, but I got lazy and will do that if I notice more rust. The assembly will be easy enough to take apart. Make sure you get cans with good seals!

I just used an eye-bolt for a lock hasp. Only had to drill and seal one hole for the locking mechanism. Use fender washers on the inside to distribute the force of pulling on the eye-bolt.

Then just drilled two holes in the cans in appropriate places. Then some liquid washer (goopy black stuff I used as sealant everywhere on the cans) in betwen the first outside fender washer and can to seal. I had to stack 4 fender washers to enable the can lid to open without hitting the plastic bed protector. Then some aluminum stock for stability and distribute the compression properly to the bedrail.

I used these: Spring Strut Nuts at Lowes

to attach to the stock bedrails. They're awesome, they'll automatically pivot into position as you tighten the bolt.

Total cost was about $60 (mostly ammo cans), and about an 1.5 hours gathering materials and about an hour to put together.

Currently I'm using them to hold a tow strap and small portable compressor to keep everything out of the backseat. I bought a crewcab for a reason.
Let me know what you think, or if you have questions.

I figured you guys might like the use of the ammo cans.

Latest posts

Top Bottom