I may need knee surgery, so who's had it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have torn my meniscus 8 times. Two surgeries on the left and 5 on the right knee, the right is torn again and also needs to be replaced at this point. I have just been putting off surgery again. I will have the torn meniscus removed soon, but will wait on the replacement a few more years. I'm 38 and had my first surgery when I was 15. They are not bad, for me just more a pain in the ass because I have had so many and don't have much left. I did not help when my son drove his electric ford raptor into the side on my bad leg yesterday.
You have a good leg?

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Buddy, you might should think about slowing down a bit on the sports at 36, your not 20 anymore. I have had four shoulder Rotator Cups, both knees, both ankles, one hip, two back, one neck, both wrists, pins in both wrists and one thumb. That is just the surgeries from sports. I cannot count how many bones I have broke as well. I am 52 years old right now and I am paying for it, every morning I wake up. They are wanting to do my left shoulder a third time, and they want to put a new hip in. I am staving it off as long as I can. I LOVED sports, boxed on team for years, football, wrestled, baseball, raced off road and I am 50/50 now on thinking I wished I had only done about half of the sports I did, maybe I would be about 50% better now, maybe I would feel 50% better now. LOL!

Hope they go in there and only find a tear and such, and get you back fast. But seriously, might want to think about some easier hobbies on your body! Wished I had!!! Wish you the best on your surgery! Do what they tell you to do.
Until my shoulder surgeries in 2011, I was on 6 teams and played 6 games per week. It's indoor so we play year round. There are no off seasons. Since the surgeries, I play on 2 teams. It's the 2 lowest divisions in the over 30 league (aka the old man league). At 36, I'm on the younger side of the people I play against. And I used to play in higher leagues so being in the bottom two, I can take it a little easier and still hold my own. My shoulder still gives me all kinds of problems so I can't keep my old pace.

But what else am I supposed to do? Stay at home with my wife? The secret to a happy marriage is NOT a lot of time together. Cherish the time you have, then get out of the house and have fun.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
35 and just had the surgery Friday morning. Meniscus, fat, and plykas ( no idea) were removed. I've had knee problems for 15-20 years and finally decided to fix it. I'm hobbling around. Pain is strong but not unbearable.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I tore my left knee up playing basketball in high school. Ripped the LCL off the end of my fibula, tore both menisci, and damaged the other three ligaments. I've got a 16 inch scar on the right side and a 6 inch scar on the left. They used what looks like a miniature doll house table to staple the LCL. They actually stretched it around to the front of my tibia. Injury happened in Feburary, I was in a cast till May. It was swimming season by then and I went swimming every day that summer. By the end of the summer my knee was back to full strength and flexibility. I am a firm believer in water exercise. Now, 46 years later my knee will very rarely hurt for a day or two, but nothing disabling, just something I'm aware off. I do a LOT of stairs at work, and walk on a LOT of concrete and steel floors, so I can't compain to much about a bit of just noticeable pain. There are some things I've learned not to do, like use my foot to push stuff like dirt or a leaf pile to my right.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
At 40 I had my right ACL fixed and meniscus "trimmed." I say trimmed cause the Doc said he took out the loose pieces and smoothed out the rough spots. He said I would never have full knee motion again but I worked really hard and do in fact have full range motion. I stopped tae kwon do but kept running and ridding road bikes. It took about a year for full recovery and motion with no pain but I did it and you can too. Good luck.

bettinasmith143

New to the site!
Reaction score
I have sever pain with total knee replacement. My surgeon is refusing me pain medicine as he does not believe in them. Is there anything I can do? I'm so frustrated and wondering, do I have rights to pain medicine after this major knee surgery? I'm tough but this is torture I'm 51 and stuck at home .

Latest posts

Top Bottom