I messed something up! Help Please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dieseltech09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So last night I decided to strip my MKIII down for the first time. I had a very hard time getting the mainspring housing up and while trying to pull it down to remove the bolt retaining pin I could only get it about half way down. I decided I was going to wait till I had more time this weekend.I was having a hard time getting the bolt retaining pin pushed back through so I cycled the bolt, this is where Im sure I messed up. I got the pin back through and the main spring housing back down. Now the bolt will only move about 1/4 of the way back and I now I can only get the main spring housing up a little bit before it gets tight.
What do I need to do? And how bad did I mess up?

jbarnett

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have no idea how bad you messed up but this would be a great reason to have an OSA get together. I haven't taken mine apart because of all the posts I have seen on how hard it is to do.

Cue

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Pull the trigger while removing the mainspring housing. Your hammer strut is not aligned right. You need to point the barrel straight up.Once you got the mainspring in the 45 degree angle,you wiggle the gun a little. It will fall back into the little recess on the back side of the main spring housing. Then you can either remove the mainspring or put it back together. If it is brand new, you may have to take a hammer and a nylon punch to the bolt stop pin to drive it out.

Also make sure you have the magazine in there if you have not disabled the mag safety.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
ahhhhh... welcome to the joys of putting a MKIII back together...
it gets funner if you decide to strip down trigger and hammer.
HUGE fun putting hammer/magazine safety assembly back together.
highly recommend taking lots of digital pic's before taking apart bottom receiver.

figuring out correct position of hammer/strut goes a long ways in solving the puzzle. magazine safety really gets in the way...

here ya go...an excellent MK III minor reassembly
http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=UeY9s2TYAOk&feature=related

So last night I decided to strip my MKIII down for the first time. I had a very hard time getting the mainspring housing up and while trying to pull it down to remove the bolt retaining pin I could only get it about half way down. I decided I was going to wait till I had more time this weekend.I was having a hard time getting the bolt retaining pin pushed back through so I cycled the bolt, this is where Im sure I messed up. I got the pin back through and the main spring housing back down. Now the bolt will only move about 1/4 of the way back and I now I can only get the main spring housing up a little bit before it gets tight.
What do I need to do? And how bad did I mess up?

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Rem-oil spray, let it sit for the day, then the next day spray with carbon cleaner, let sit for an hour then clean. I'll never be taking my 22/45 MKIII's apart ever again!!!!!!!!!!! If it wasn't for the fact that they shoot so damn well, I'd get rid of them!!

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rem-oil spray, let it sit for the day, then the next day spray with carbon cleaner, let sit for an hour then clean. I'll never be taking my 22/45 MKIII's apart ever again!!!!!!!!!!! If it wasn't for the fact that they shoot so damn well, I'd get rid of them!!

Once you go Buckmark, you never go back! The Buckmark is your friend. :pms2:

Latest posts

Top Bottom