I Pledge Allegiance, to... Obama???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinkhamr

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
That dang Flag was made in China and also a Violation of Florida State Law .....
icon8.png

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/03/1...ks_outrage_at_Florida_Democrats#ixzz1pA23v9Bv

Last edited:

Fatboy Joe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't which political party or whose picture is on it, it is disrespectful of the flag. This establishment has to be ran by idiots. That's a personal opinion, however I also don't believe there should be laws against it.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
[On the national level the Federal Flag Code1 provides uniform guidelines for the
display of and respect shown to the flag. In addition to the Code, Congress has by
statute designated the national anthem and set out the proper conduct during its
presentation.2 The Code is designed “for the use of such civilian groups or
organizations as may not be required to conform with regulations promulgated by one
or more executive departments” of the federal government.3 Thus, the Flag Code
does not prescribe any penalties for non-compliance nor does it include enforcement
provisions; rather the Code functions simply as a guide to be voluntarily followed by
civilians and civilian groups.
The Federal Flag Code does not purport to cover all possible situations.
Although the Code empowers the President of the United States to alter, modify,
repeal, or prescribe additional rules regarding the flag,4 no federal agency has the
authority to issue “official” rulings legally binding on civilians or civilian groups.
Consequently, different interpretations of various provisions of the Code may
continue to be made. The Flag Code itself, however, suggests a general rule by
which practices involving the flag may be fairly tested: “No disrespect should be
shown to the flag of the United States of America.”5 Therefore, actions not
specifically included in the Code may be deemed acceptable as long as proper respect
is shown.

In addition to the Flag Code, a separate provision contained in the Federal
Criminal Code established criminal penalties for certain treatment of the flag.6 Prior
to 1989, this provision provided criminal penalties for certain acts of desecration to
the flag. In response to the Supreme Court decision in Texas v. Johnson7 (which held
that anti-desecration statutes are unconstitutional if aimed at suppressing one type of
expression), Congress enacted the Flag Protection Act of 1989 to provide criminal
penalties for certain acts which violate the physical integrity of the flag.8 This law
imposed a fine and/or up to one year in prison for knowingly mutilating, defacing,
physically defiling, maintaining on the floor, or trampling upon any flag of the United
States. In 1990, however, the Supreme Court held that the Flag Protection Act was
unconstitutional as applied to a burning of the flag in a public protest.9]

http://www.senate.gov/reference/resources/pdf/RL30243.pdf

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And then we have Florida law.

Statute 256.05, which covers improper use of state or United States flag, or other symbol of authority, reads: "No person shall, in any manner, for exhibition or display:

"(1) Place or cause to be placed any word, figure, mark, picture, design, drawing or advertisement of any nature upon any flag, standard, color, ensign or shield of the United States or of this state, or authorized by any law of the United States or this state; or

"(2) Expose to public view any such flag, standard, color, ensign or shield upon which shall have been printed, painted or otherwise produced, or to which shall have been attached, appended, affixed or annexed any such word, figure, mark, picture, design, drawing or advertisement."

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
[In the past, the Supreme Court has held that states may restrict use of pictures
of the flag on commercial products.52 There is a federal criminal prohibition on the
use of the flag for advertising purposes in the District of Columbia.53 While
commercial speech does not receive the full protection of the First Amendment,54 the
status of these statutes and cases can not be taken for granted in light of Eichman and
Johnson.]

http://www.senate.gov/reference/resources/pdf/RL30243.pdf

I can see it now...
"It's not commercial, it's protected political speech", "It's not disrespectful because it's the President".

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just my opinion but I don't think it's proper, even if it was a president I liked or George Washington it wouldn't be proper.
It's also my opinion that a crafty political type might know something like this would be a good diversion and disapproval of it can be attributed to haters etc...
How is that debt ceiling thing going? And the "Super Committee" cuts? Etc...

Latest posts

Top Bottom