If money was no issue where would you retire to?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dmc707

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The age old question of

Beach or mountains

a few acres in the vicinity of Angel Fire would suit me fine. Not far from the Whittington Center, maybe enough room for a rimfire and air gun range on premises and lots of DH mountain biking to rip all summer long

——- but then there’s Tybee Island, Georgia

it would be a tough choice.

But I also would not want to give up my home and 10 acres here in Norman

Gadsden

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wife's cousin lives in southern Idaho. He is retired Air Force and married a Filipino woman. He says that they never go to northern Idaho because there is a sizable population of racists up there.
I don't know about that, but having been there a couple times we absolutely love Northern Idaho. Rivers, lakes and mountains is what appeals to us the most and they've got it all. Southern Idaho was a hard pass for us.

Letfreedomring

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m in agreement with L. C. I’m right where I want to be. We’re at the end of a dead end road. Closest neighbors: to the east-1 1/2 miles. To the south- 1 1/2 miles. To the north- 2 miles. To the west, which is the direction the road comes into our property, 1 mile. So yes we are where we want to be.
But do you have a poop gate? Don't know what you're missing if not! Just sayin...

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Interestingly enough, those in our nomad RV group have discussed this very issue many times.
Some had summer cabins in New Mexico, or winter homes along the gulf.
Everyone said that eventually got boring after a few years of weekend trips to the vacation home. It was always a drain on their money and spent a lot of vacation time repairing things.
Fantastic places, but eventually you've been there and done that many times over in the same location.
Traveling, be it national or international brings new locations and new experiences to those travelers even if it's just in Oklahoma. There is a whole lot to see and do in this great state.

red dirt shootist

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
SWMBO wants to live on Destin Island, in Florida. She'd settle for Viequies Island in Puerto Rico. I could settle for 5 or 10 acres with a pond or stream, and a big workshop. Smallish house would be good, too. Here or one of the places... I'd have to hit the jackpot pretty hard to get a place like that at Destin though.
I lived in Destin for 6 months, that's all I could take.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Freedom. The name on my boat: Ain't never going back nowhere
There are a whole lot of folks that are nomads on their boats. Tons of YouTube videos of those that travel the inland waterways.
There was a couple from Tulsa several years ago that left Tulsa on a boat at the lock and dam near there. Motored all the way around the gulf, to the eastern seaboard, down the great lakes into the river system and finally back into Tulsa. Took them a year. Had to stop a couple times for repairs, and work some jobs to get more money, but it was their life's dream, and they made it happen.

Latest posts

Top Bottom