Implications of CDC Research and Obamacare for Gun Ownership

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know that right now the focus is on such things as magazine limts, "assault" weapon bans and such but did anyone notice the emphasis on CDC research and the clarification that under Obamacare doctors may ask about gun ownership during medical exams?

This is the soft underbelly for gun control - if an outright attack on the 2A fails then it will become a matter of the CDC deciding that gun ownership, except of course for "legitimate" sporting purposes, is actually a manifestation of paranoia or other mental disease...and, of course, mental disease would disqualify one from passing the universal background check now wouldn't it?

or

Doctor's will ask patients, especially children (after all it's all for the children isn't it?) about guns in the home and if there are then those will be marked as "high-risk" homes, perhaps even putting insurance coverage at risk?

I can't say either of these will definitely occur but I am very suspicious of the real reason behind having medical personnel start prying into what is essentially a political issue.

Anyway, that's my two cents.

10Seconds

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dont like it, but i just think some of this was a way for Obama et al to "pile on" to show how much they are doing to fight evil guns.

I doubt they are really going to learn much from doctors at the present stage. And such research, like most of these kind of projects will be a waste of money.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The worry is that mental health assessment is subjective and mental health professionals are influenced by politics and the predominant anti-gun culture. Couple this with a President who keeps saying we have to do something even if it only saves one life.

I agree - we have a serious potential problem in this area. The new Executive Order could be a step towards something draconian. We have seen how the press labels people unstabile just because they have stored ammunition and "arsenals." Being an avid gun owner and expressing a belief in the right of the people to overthrow tyranny could be called a sign of a mental problem.

jdagreek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I honestly don't know that having the CDC do some research into the causes of gun violence is a really bad idea. I don't trust anything Obama says or thinks, but I do know that it is usually nut cases that commit mass type killings. I suggested a long time ago that strengthening background checks in this area weren't all a bad case as I don't want the crazies running around shooting people. Our history as a nation is to protect people rights when it comes to revealing medical records. The patient/doctor relationship has always been important and protected as it should be. However, I sure don't want my doctors revealing to Tom, Dick and Harry my medical records unless I authorize them to do so. However, when it comes to the patient/doctor issue I think it is important for medical professionals and others to be more forthright in alerting law enforcement of a potential mental risk.

On the issue of research into what causes some people to commit violence as in these mass killings, I don't see a problem in that. we obviously have some issues in that area and you don't solve problems by turning your back on them. This isn't the 1940s anymore. We have much different population dynamics than in the past. We have kids who are growing up playing extremely violent video games hours a day. We have kids exposed to extremely violent and sexually explicit Hollywood movies 24/7 on the TVs in our homes. We have so many kids on mood altering psychological drugs today. I love my doctors, but my suspicion is that we have a great many medical professionals who are writing RXs for lots of drugs that may be doing more damage than good. Back in my childhood days, I worked from the time I was old enough to help as well as did all of my friends. I never had time after school and during the summers to get in trouble. Today, we don't allow our kids to work as we might damage them somehow. The result is that we have millions of inner city children who have not a single thing to do after school except to watch TV, play video games and/or be out on the streets and getting into trouble. Kids coming home to an empty house with nothing to do and no supervision is a formula for disaster.

My view is that we have desensitized several generations of our children to violence etc. I am also a realist and I am not sure there is a way to reverse any of this. But, someone doing some research on these kinds of issues might not be all bad. Who knows, perhaps something positive can come out of CDC research into some of these issues.

Every time the Left Wing of the Democratic Party is stirred by a school shooting they immediately want to point to guns as the cause. Guns are absolutely not the cause, they are simply the most convenient [along with bombs] vehicle to commit mass murder. We all know that dumb, and crazy and stupid and sick people do this kind of crime. So, perhaps someone like the CDC can point to some sociological issues that lead people to commit these crimes. My personal view is that it isn't the violent felons who commit rape and murder and robberies who commit these kinds of mass murder crimes. It is usually someone that is least expected and/or whose lack of mental stability hasn't been reported by people who suspect such who commit these kinds of crimes.

I grant all of you that this is an extremely complex issue. I don't intend to come off as an expert in any of this. I just think that the best way to stop some of the anti-gun folks might be to have some sound evidence pointing elsewhere sure wouldn't hurt our efforts to stop the chipping away an the 2nd Amendment.

sklfco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I grant all of you that this is an extremely complex issue. I don't intend to come off as an expert in any of this. I just think that the best way to stop some of the anti-gun folks might be to have some sound evidence pointing elsewhere sure wouldn't hurt our efforts to stop the chipping away an the 2nd Amendment.

Have to disagree with you here. 3 ways to stop them. 1. Give them what they want, all YOUR firearms. 2. Take away their source of revenue 3. We all know this one but just do not speak of but gives us that chuckle we so need from time to time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom