In 1903 the US Army adopted a new rifle, but it also had 2 standard machine guns...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Maybe?

B87D8998-816C-4D5D-8B80-43656B2E8B3A.jpeg

FF0AD88A-1599-4EA3-B1A3-9EAFF8CBFF82.jpeg

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
The Maxim was adopted in 1904. Are you sure you want to go with a Gatling gun?
Well, since I didn't know sure. You said a search engine was cheating. Although I cheated after I posted, Google says one was right and the other is a tater thing.

I'm pretty sure all these other answers were from a google search as well. lol

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, since I didn't know sure. You said a search engine was cheating. Although I cheated after I posted, Google says one was right and the other is a tater thing.

I'm pretty sure all these other answers were from a google search as well. lol
I did not cheat, which is why I have no idea on the 2nd one. I know the colt and know the Gatling was adopted after the civil war. I just do not know if it was still in use or we had adopted that French thing by then.

But now I am going to because I want to know.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My late Gfather was a machine gunner in WW1. He was wounded in France 3 days prior to the Armistice, and carried shrapnel in his leg to the the end of his days. I think he was selected as a MG Gunner because he was rather large for his day - about 6'2", over 200 lb.

Remember, MG tactics were fairly new at that time. MGs were used more as artillery than Anti-personnel weapons. note I'm not saying that MGs weren't used in the AP role, just that more often they were used as a long-distance harassing fire.

They trained on the Colt-Browning M1895. When they got over there, all the 1895s were taken away (more likely the guns never made it there), and they were given that French POS to use - the Chauchat.

He hated it.

The Chauchat was eventually replaced with the Hotchkiss, at least for his unit. He was using the Hotchkiss when he was wounded - at the same time his remaining 2 team members were killed by an artillery airburst.
He said that he used the corpses as further protection - pushing them up on the lip of the position.

He was there, by himself, wounded, for 2 days before being relieved/rescued (he couldn't walk) by his unit.

Latest posts

Top Bottom